1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Loader /w Pusher Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remstar, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Remstar

Remstar Member

Hi Guys,

I am upgrading my snow fleet to include a loader.
    Was thinking a Cat 924 or 930 - or similar machine in the 13 000 kg range.

Is this too much weight? The local Cat dealer was leaning heavily on trying to sell me the CAT It14G which is much lighter at 7700 KG, but they seem to think this unit will do the job.

The primary use of my machine will to push large runs of snow, I am leaving the detail work to the skid steers.

So with that said I was thinking maybe one of the Arctic Sectional 12 Ft or 14 Ft pushers. Do these truly cut down through the ice like they claim?

This is a multi location unit, so I am thinking if we have to location change during the day anything really bigger than a 12 Ft Pusher would become unmanageable during day traffic.

Also was interested in the Daniels plows Wing Plow, has a interesting design that fold open nice and big to really cover some area.

Any thoughts appreciated
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Arctic runs 924K with 14 or 16 sectional plows
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Go with your gut. Pushing long runs with even a 12' box will work that little IT14 hard. And what aboot stacking? That little thing is limited..
    I would want a machine made to dig into bank run gravel pit walls with a 4 yard bucket....something with some power and ass..like a 930g.
  4. Buswell Forest

from NH

Bet the dealer has sat on the IT14 for a while......
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

6. Remstar

Remstar Member

Buswell, you think the 12 is small, but wouldn't this be the biggest I should consider for transporting in town. If i get a 14 or 16 ft monster it would be a pain to get from site to site no?

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

That is the same reason I purchased a HLA 12 foot pusher , my loader could handle a 14 - 16 foot but going around town would be a pain . I also bought a loader 1 size bigger than I needed , nice to have extra power and weight if needed . Thumbs Up:nod:
  8. Buswell Forest

from NH

It could be, sure. It sounds foolish, but what about having a large box at each site and driving between empty? If you could afford it, that solves the problem. Most modern loaders have a quick attach setup.
    Or, maybe one of the folding pushers?
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My old loader is around 26000 lbs/12000kg and with the 14' box pusher and heavy wet snow I can make the tires spin... don't skimp on weight for this application!
  10. Remstar

Remstar Member

I am looking at the upcoming Ritchi Sale, there are a couple 644J with around 24000 Hrs on them. In the spirit that one is good and 2 are better, and thinking that a backup machine is a solid plan, especially with high hour machines... what do you guys think? The price could very well be right here. I noticed ther are a few large model machines also selling with around 15000 hrs, anyone play in the area of the market before?

The equipment only runs a couple hundred hrs a season usually, and I know I can not afford new ones, I know there's a ton of things that can go wrong but, maybe the risk of high hour machines would be worth it here, I mean really we wont be doing pit runs 24 hrs a day.....
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

Take a knowledgeable deere mechanic with you to check them out.
    24k hours is a lot. Hydraulics and transmission are big ticket items..the hydraulic pump on that machine is probably $2000 rebuilt with your core. Each cylinder refurbished is $1200 and up. Transmission is a $15k item.
    What are the bigger lower hour machines? A 644j runs a3.5 to 4 yard bucket..bigger is better to a point....a 6 yard machine is a behemoth.
  13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Here was my set up. It's a 544 with a 12' pusher. You could load that pusher and not feel it. If I hadn't sold out, I was going to step up to 16-18' pushers and build a trolley system to tow the pusher behind the loader when roading between sites.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Watched your vid, your machine definitely moves a lot faster than mine, probably why you don't spin the tires like mine will (occasionally, depends on the snow type right?) even though the machines are of similar size. Mine doesn't run out of power or anything, but the transmission doesn't seem capable of transmitting it to the wheels... maybe there is something wrong with it, or maybe that's just the way the old machines were. Also, that modern machine is just so much easier on the ears too... lololololol
  15. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Why would you not consider one of the expandable pushers? Yes they are more expensive but you can narrow it down while roading and then open it back up when on site.
  16. alpine779

alpine779 Member

Did ya make a purchase yet? We just went with an 07 924 g with 5000hrs and ordered some Michelin snows for it. Also went with the reactor 4 n 1 blade. 10-16 I believe. Should be able to do some damage with that. We priced a brand new 924k which is one sweet machine but couldn't justify the 80k difference in price at this time.
  17. r.renterprises

r.renterprises Member

I got a 914 cat with a 12' avalanche and put a quick tatch on it also run the mitchelin snos. I can push massive amounts of snow with this machine never run out of traction. Also run a 244j with a 10'. It to has snow tires.
  18. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Did you ever buy a loader? Ive got a 16' Daniels with pusher kit I'm gonna sell. Its set up for cat quick detach. i had it on my 924g.
  19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Go with the heavier machine, especially if you have long pushes to do. Winter tires will make a huge difference again on the long pushes. Your loader can certainly handle more then a 12 foot, but if roading is an issue then you should really look at a hydraulic wing plow. We run a 12 - 18 Metel Pless PlowMaxx on our Volvo L90 at our distribution center, and it gets loads of work done. We also have the Liveedge option on the Plowmaxx that will get you down to bare pavement on every pass.
  20. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

Will your Daniels fit on a volvo l70c. I have quick attach.

Who are you? I'm in ashtabula....