1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Line-x "body armor"!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by gotsnow?, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Let me know what you think! Line-Xed rockers and undercoating on the new-to-me SD. :nod:

100_2654.jpg

100_2655.jpg

100_2657.jpg

100_2656.jpg

100_2654.jpg

100_2655.jpg

100_2657.jpg

100_2656.jpg

2. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

And more....

100_2658.jpg

100_2659.jpg

100_2658.jpg

100_2659.jpg

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Thats a great idea...did you do it yourself or send it out? How long did underneath take?

4. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Good luck welding the frame if it breaks, let alone trying to find a ground for your salter. SHeeeesh. That is a lot of LineX. Did you not want color matched? Hey, there goes that guy with the odd truck. At least you will stand out.

Jon

5. shanta74

shanta74 Member

looks good i like the two tone

6. gump

gump Member

I thought it looked good too, I was thinking about doing the same thing. May I ask what the whole show cost you undercoating and all? This damn salt kills these trucks. As far as a ground or welding, a grinder will do the trick.

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Wow, for someone who didn't like a little static about his backplow/wing plow or whatever it was, sheesh.

As for the welding of the frame if needed or finding a ground for the salter, a minute or two with a grinder and you're ready.

Buck

8. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Blueline, I did not do it myself, I sent it Tri-State Line-X (a local Line-X dealer, similar to Rhino lining www.tristatelinex.com) They had the all day Thursday and most of Friday, they cleaned it, let it dry and taped it all off on Thursday and sprayed it Friday morning. The sides dried right away, the undercoating is still a little tacky. But should dry within a day or so. This stuff is top of the line spray in bedliner so it should protect against further rusting for years to come, plus it's warranted that if it should ever crack, break, fall off they replace it!
    Jon Geer, like gump said a sander will take the under coating off (it's not quite as thick as the stuff on the rockers) if need be. I think I'd rather have great salt/road grime protection rather than having any easy ground. Plus, I don't have a spreader.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I can't believe how nice my truck looks now!! Before I had some surface rust along the bottom (was a Michigan truck....) and a rust hole I had fixed above the right rear wheel well and right cab corner; the truck deffinantly looks a lot differant than when I bought it!

9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Gump, thanks for the compliment! Whole job cost $600. ($450 for the rockers [as there was alot of taping involved], and $150 for the under coating) I also had a guy I know who has body work experience fix a couple bad rust spots with grinding and body filler, I paid him $200 for material and his time. So all in all I have $800 into this, however I believe it was money well spent!

10. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Oh yeah Jon, I forgot to mention that color matching would have doubled the price... therefore I think two tone looks GREAT!! And I enjoy having the truck that stands out from the crowd.

11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Geez, sorry about my post Gump. I didn't read the whole thing and missed the part about using the grinder and pretty much repeated you almost word for word. Sorry, guess I need some sleep.:nod:

Buck

12. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

Thats not a bad price, I was expecting probally double that. Nice looking truck.

13. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I think it looks great!!

Please give me the number of the outfit that did yours, it'll be worth a couple days in a motel and the drive.:nod:

I was quoted a grand just for the rockers on my rust free 98:confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  14. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

dzrick, there web address is www.tristatelinex.com You can find their tx number, address, and more info about their line-x products there. Also, I think I'm pretty sure they do short bed bed-liners for $420! I'm a very happy customer!! And the price,I thought, was pretty reasonable. If you do happen to go with them mention my truck, maybe they'll give you a bit of a deal for being refered.

15. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

looks good man keep that truck alive longer . you should have have the oil pan done as well good idea atleast maybe ?

16. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Thank-you! I'll tell them I heard about them through you and let you know after I get her done, it may be awhile before I get the time to make the trip but it will happen.

PM me your name so you get the credit for the referral.ussmileyflag

17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I f #$@% like it alot. I want to do that with mine this summer. Great post and a great deal also ussmileyflag.

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

looks good. I've seen some guys use chip guard on the lower half also.

19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Looks good to me. I'm wondering how much weight that all added to the truck...? Mines all in chip guard, under the paint (which happens to be black as well, so if it chips, well, its still black! :p)

20. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I saw an 03-07 obs black chevy 2500HD that had it done like that the other day. It looked GREAT!