1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Lightbar

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pjnlandscape, Oct 10, 2010.

1. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IDK, I'm torn with LED light bars. I've seen some that are barley visible and some that are bright has heck even on a sunny day. A local municipality put led light bars on their new cop cars and holy crap are they bright! I also know a guy who put a mini bar on his truck, he raved about it for weeks, when I finally saw it, it was less than impressive. I like strobes, they barley use any amps, there are no moving parts like a rotator and 99% of them are bright in all conditions, but thats just me. I have a Whelend Guardian dual strobe on one of my trucks, 1 amber lens and 1 clear lens, covered with a clear dome and you can see the flash off buildings for several blocks down the road.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Go with the mini justice led lightbar. I have it and it is very bright during the day and night and very low amp draw.

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If you want an LED bar, go with Whelen or Code 3. The rest are a waste of money.

5. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

i like the led's. we have switched almost all our trucks to led. they draw very little and are bright as heck. i like show me

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

What kind of truck do you have? You should get a 54" light bar so you can have the work lights and the alley lights for when you have to do walks.

7. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

Ajslands,

I would find it a lot more cost effective and it would also get a better result if he made a back rack or used a mini lightbar and than add an auxilary lights for around 10 bucks instead of spending another 300 for a full sized light bar jus me thinking allowed.

Justin

8. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

9. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

try E Bay there are some good deal's on there

10. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

I ended up buying that Sho Me Able 2. It is bright as hell at night and i am going to mount it on my back rack with a custom built mounting plate. The truck is a black 2009 F350 supercab with black custom rims and tinted windows for whoever asked. I am looking for a set of reverse lights to mount on the backrack as well... Any Suggestions anyone?

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

why should we keep giving you suggestions if your not going to listen to them??

12. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

I cant listen to every persons suggstions dude. Then i would have like four lightbars right now and one truck. i listened to msu1510, forest edge snow, and cubanb343. Is that enough for you? or would you like to continue to complain?

Still looking for a good set of reverse lights if anyone has a suggestion

13. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Harborfreight's clear fog lights for like 7.99. I've had them on my back rack for over a year now. Cant beat that price. Just make sure you silicone around the lenses to keep water out LOL

And yeah, that lightbar is bright as hell at night, but I'm pretty sure it's still got only GEN I LED'S in it, so the sunshine washes it out during the daytime. You'll see

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Actually now that I look at it, get the Whelen Responder LP from StrobesNMore.com

A buddy of mine has that lightbar your looking at and when we put our trucks next to each other you cant even see his bar over my Whelen. And its only $50 more. :nod:

15. Holland

Holland Senior Member

That able 2 lightbar is a nice unit. I've got one on my truck and the towing company i worked for had one on their offroad recovery unit. Its well built. I'd agree it doesnt compare to a rotator in the daylight, but it'll beat a rotator at night. And to me thats where it counts. Besides, price was very convincing for me, i got mine brand new off ebay for 185 bucks.

16. BooshF250

BooshF250 Junior Member

reverse lights

I just bought recon reverse projector xenon lights to mount on a back rack, the should be pretty nice, cheap on amazon.com as well

17. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I just purchased a signal pinnacle mini and it is bright as heck day and night, the road sign crews that set up signs for construction are buying them. Thats where I first saw it during the day and was impressed. It has low draw and 27 patterns.