1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New light options?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mdmax, Oct 27, 2011.

1. mdmax

mdmax Junior Member

Hello everyone first post. I have a ultramount with the square lights and they suck to say the least. I bought an HID conversion kit last year so I was going to mount another set of lights on the bar and put HIDs on a switch but then just read a lot of mixed reviews on reliabilty and making sure you have the right lenses which I dont. So Im trying to figure out if I should keep the OE lights and add a set of HIDs or just upgrade to maybe nighthawks or Hiniker quads(seem like the got good reviews) and be done with it. How difficult is it to convert to the newer style lights? thanks

2. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

i added the nighthawks to my ultramount they come with the plugs just bolt on and plug in they work great i also have 2 150 watt lights mounted next to my headlights and have them on a 4 prong trailer plug its like plowing in the day light.

3. mdmax

mdmax Junior Member

sweet maybe I will just buy the nighthawks and still use HIDs since I already have the bulbs and wiring and lenses just need new housings. thanks

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have the two wire uni switching to nighthawks is a bit more trouble. Nighthawks come with a cable designed to work on the three wire system only. You would have to pull the wires out of your old rectangular headlights and make them work in the nighthawks, not impossible, just a pain. But if you do have three cables at the grill then you already have a seperate plug just for lights. That makes it real easy. Then the only trouble is making an adapter to make the two bolt nighthawks mount to the single hole light towers you have. I have used the new Ford headlight adapters for this and it works quite well. The adapters are designed to push the nighthawks out far enough to allow the Ford hoods to open. You know those Fords with the grill that comes up with the hood right? The "head slashers" I call them and I have the scares to justify the name (I am 6'4" so I regularly get bitten). You can get them at any Western dealer, probably free for the asking. We get a set with most Fort ultra mounts truck side mounts but only use them half the time. Every dealer should have lots floating around.

5. firefighter4418

firefighter4418 Junior Member

i have a ultra mount also and i put silverstar bulbs in my that are sealed beams and they work great