1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Lift Unit Motor

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by prayforsnow, Feb 2, 2012.

1. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

2. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

Thankfully I didn't need a new motor. My problem was bad ground. With a dedicated ground cable my plow has never lifted this fast. Thumbs Up

After looking at the DB website, I found several CW 12volt 9 spline motors with the same dimensions, but no other was rated at 4.5 hp.
    Also the one listed in the post above was a cross-reference to the SPX 1787AC.

Hopefully, this will help somebody...

PFS

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

hey pray,,,how did you direct grond it?? maybe a pic???

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Common problem on all plows is the power and ground feed. Have been doing a lot of updates with 2 GA wiring and Anderson connectors.

As far as the motors go there is a different Fenner part number for the HD motors. Don't have it handy but they will also be a dual stud motor now.

J

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

thanks Jerre

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

1789AC is an extended duty that works in place of the 1787AC

7. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

Howdy,

Jerre...

Dedicated power and ground cables seem the best way to go...hands down, no argument.

dieselss... You enjoyin' your lake snow?

I took the motor off, so I had to remove the two screws holding the "end cover" on and remove the two bolts that attach it. To test it I just took a 3ga cable I had (w/copper ends, attached to the battery) and put it under the bolt that attaches the motor, tightened it down and voila.
    That baby spun like a drunken monkey... ;)

My thought is a 10ga(good to 30 amps) or 8ga(good to 40 amps) from the ground attachment point on the a-frame to the motor should supply a significant ground for the motor. I'll check it while I'm running to see if it can take the load/time.
    My motor has a small rubber plug on the edge of the "end cover" w/two small holes in it...I should be able to run a 8ga wire through there for the ground.
    I will take pictures.

I have also heard of welding a stud onto the motor for a dedicated ground strap. I might do that...but welding on the motor makes me a little nervous... :eek:

Fastjohnny...
    Thanks for the number of the HD motor.

Cross-referencing that 1789AC# comes back to the same motor at DB...

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-3328-new-pump-motor-fenner-waltco-maxon-dell-liftgates-lfs0002.aspx

That motor in the picture looks like it has the dual screws to mount the solenoid on it. It does come with a 1 yr warranty...that's more than I usually see for electrical components.
    For the money, I think it'd be worth trying...

On another note...
    The one thing I have had the most trouble with is the OEM multi-plug that came on the plow. Thinking back, almost all the troubles I've had with the plow have traced back inside that plug.

I understand some guys need to swap plows and trucks during storms and want them all to interchange, but I'm going to eliminate that plug completely on my truck with dedicated cables and a heavy-duty weather-proof plug.

PFS

8. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Intrested in the welding of the stud on the motor. I thought about the same thing but was nervous to do it becasue of all the copper inside.

9. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

Howdy,

I ran the "weld a stud on the motor" idea past my guy at the welding shop and he didn't blink an eye...said he could do it no problem, no worries about frying anything.

I'm guessin heat sink (cold rag), and short bursts.

Also talked to him about building me a wing, since I bent one last year. When I bring it over and get a price I'll post it here. I told him he could probably sell a few if he can do them for a decent price.

PFS

10. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Keep the stock harness and add an additional power and ground harness set up. We make them up and ship them all the time. Need truck side lengths . Plow side is all the same.

As far as the weld a stud you can usually tap one of the holes in the casing and put a bolt in it.

J