1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New LEDS

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ColumbiaLand, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Hey guys I'm new to LEDs, I have strobes in all of our trucks, getting some leds for my new truck for the fire dept (fire police) Bought this for my grille http://www.awdirect.com/pse-ambertrade-xt3-led-series-interior-exterior-lights-xt304b/new-products/. My question is do I need a power supply for the leds? Ive heard they are easy to put in but just want to be sure I order everything I need. Do they just get wired to an on off switch? Im sure you have answered these questions many times, but any input would help. Thanks

2. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

im pretty sure that those leds are just plug and play. just hook em up to power, ground, and a switch and you should be all set. remember to put in fuses.
    you also might want to look into the whelen dominator series. basically the same thing.

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

leds just wire to power/ground and the switch put in a fuse also.
    if your going to put a bunch of leds in and want them controlled seperately you might also consider looking into a switch box
    good luck

4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Well you don't need a power supply, they are self contained. Make sure you read the instruction manual prior to starting, it's actually available on that same page you linked to. Which model did you purchase?

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

What? Do they run on Solar power? Oh yeah that would be a power source! Every light that's made needs a power supply! That's what the Battery is! Geesh and you do installs? Nothing like having a light that won't light! :D I'm just mess'n with you!

Just run the red wire through the switch and the switch pwr wire through a fuse/fuseable link and to your power source. Battery or fuse box. Hook up your ground after you have the hot wire ran so you don't short anything and you should be good to go. 15 amp fuse and switch should be good. Like said before if your going to run alot of them look into a switch box.

Good luck to you!

6. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

7. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I don't care who you that's funny right there! I'm sorry I couldn't resist! That would have been like taking a plane flight without a plane! LOL Have a good one! :drinkup: