1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new large lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cmo18, Oct 6, 2011.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

hey guys, the season is here!

I'm getting to close to closing a large parking lot but unsure what equipment I should be purchasing.

I have about 30 residential places, a few medium size lots and one large lot in the picture. Can a ag tractor handle the big lot? I need to make sure the tractor can scrape and pile high. On the ag tractor i'll be adding a pusher, and a blower for all the small lots, can it handle the big lot or would I just be wasting my time?

This big lot is everything to my company, as its the next step to growing. Owner will call me when he wants it salted, and I can pile snow where the blue lines are.

canadiantire.jpg

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Get a big enough loader to run a 16' pusher. You'll need to stack. 35-45g and you can get a nice used case 721 or something along those lines.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

on a pure guess i would say that is a 5-6 acre lot, a tractor will probably do it alright, but you should consider a older loader or something too.

2 reasons for that

1) you get the lot done faster, the loader can stay on site, and the tractor can move on to other things

2) if the tractor breaks down, you aren't completely out of luck getting the lot done

There seems to be a couple of places out there that sell good used loaders quite cheap $20 000 or less

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I dont have any tractor/ loader at the moment. Upgrading equipment..I can find a loader for under 20g that would more than do the trick. However I need a blower too which is why I would like to find a unit to do everything.

My operator doesnt seem to think a AG tractor would be heavy enough or be able to stack high enough??

My answer was I can use the blower to blow piles after the storm but that will take alot longer. SO can a AG stack snow like a loader? Also can an AG tractor scrape like a loader?

What size AG tractor should I be considering, 80+ hp, 100+ hp???

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Lease a backhoe for $1,900-$2,100 a month and put a 12-14 foot pro-tech pusher on it. Have a truck swing by every so often to assist in any detail work such as around handicap signs, store front, lane ways, etc.
    Not sure how you work your shoveling crews, but an option would be to put a shoveler in the truck that assists that lot. He or even 2 of them can jump out and handle the shoveling while the driver plows. For routes containing few, but large lots, I find this a very cost effective method for transporting shovelers as opposed to separate shoveling crew.

This is really just to do that one lot. If your looking to do all the lots you mentioned, lease 2 of them and have your existing equip support the two pieces.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

No more residential...

Options are between a backhoe and a loader now...I would prefer a backhoe for summer work, and I think if we push with the storm a backhoe will be fine. What do you guys think?

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think a backhoe like a CAT 420 or 430 would be able to do it with a 12ft box and with a truck or two to do the tight areas you would be looking at around an hour or two for the trucks and about 4 or 5hrs for the loader. My opinion is a wheel loader will get things done quicker vs. a backhoe.

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I've used a few loaders, but havent used a big backhoe. Is stacking going to be a problem? Or can I stack as high as a loader?

9. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

You'll be able to stack pretty well. Just not as high as a loader because a loader can lift higher and push harder but still get around 13'.

10. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

If you have all that room to pile snow, why do no need to stack it so high????

11. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

We get a lot of snow sometimes and the owner of the lot asked several times if I have a loader to stack. I said we will have a loader but I want a backhoe

12. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

it's not that bad of a lot. Pickup with v or wideout and wings. Loader with push box 10 or 12'. 2 ton salter. Renting a unit and buying the box is your easiest way to get into it this year. Don't buy for your first go around. Also have a back up plan - loader you can borrow, rent or sub company willing to help if your stuff breaks.

13. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

You should give everyone an idea of what your annual snowfall is usually. I check Environment Canada's website and, if you're around Moncton, the annual average is 349 cms or 137 inches for those south of us. That's a fair amount of snow and you'd realy like to be able to stack it up in case ....