1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New joystick sucks

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by sven1277, Jan 18, 2016.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I've been using a pp with the shoebox controller for the previous 10 yrs. LOVED it. I replaced this truck and another and put a new dd 8611lp on them. Both myself and my employee who had been using the shoebox for 4 seasons hate the new joystick controller. I have the hand held controller on a couple of v plows and don't really care for it either. Is it possible to have someone custom build controllers that operate similarly to the old style?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not unless you know someone who knows multiplex electronics.
  3. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Use the handheld. The joystick is frustrating.
  4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

so sad....
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ain't change great?

Handhelds suck for those of us who have 2 plows.

Or have a plow and spreader.

Controllers should stay in the same place all the time. How dozers, excavators, etc have handheld controllers? They're in the same place all the time so the operator can use muscle memory and not fumble around for it.

Never understood the concept of a handheld controller for plows.
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I like the layout of the hand held for my fishers,just wish I didn't have to hold it! :eek:
  7. Mark Oomkes

Exactly the point.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Pictures of joystick please.

Mark, you should have said 2 plows on one truck...took me a minute to figure that out because I'm slow. :confused::D
  9. Mark Oomkes

Yup, should have...I'm a bit tired so I wasn't typing too clearly.

So the question remains..........where are the manufacturers getting the ideas that we all want handheld controllers for our plows? Or are they just telling us what controllers we want? Or are they just assuming that everyone wants one because of the popularity of video games?
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It pains me to do this but I have exactly the same view as Mark on this.
  11. Mark Oomkes

I knew you'd come around eventually.............:laughing::laughing::laughing:
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, it sucks to agree with him when he's right.

STARSHIP Member

The next generation. Someday it will be controlled by Google Glasses, lol (sort of)
  14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I said it before and I will say it one more time. I love my hand held, I can adjust the plow, shift, steer and flip people off all at the same time.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Cut me some slack, I'm never right at home.
  16. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Mark, I agree, a handheld would bother me if I had to use one, have tried a couple in Westerns, no thanks. It would cost a little bit, but I believe you could just get a truck side harness from the older shoe box type and set up a Meyers Slick Stick and a couple of DPDT rockers for the wings. Might have to get the plow side also. I converted mine to my home made controls. Just an Idea.
    Thumbs Up

17. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Alright so I have had a second storm to get used to the new controller. I am definitely starting to get used to it. I still have to think about which way up and down is, but doing much better. Like anything else, I'll get used to it. Ugh, change.
  18. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Modify your old shoe box and retire the joy stick. I have a brand new joy stick and leave it behind the seat
    I added 3 double throw momentary switches across the front of my shoe box and combined functions on the switches like a left angle and a right bucket,right angle and a left bucket, double bucket and double wings going flat, it works great