1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New job and need help bidding!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Grisi24, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I come highly recommended to this customer and I want to make sure that I give a accurate bid. I am looking to see about how long this will take and about how much it is worth near you. Can anyone help me out?

Here are the details:

- Trigger at three inches
    - All sidewalks
    - The DPW plows a single pass through the development.
    - Only parking spot cleanup in the lot is required (cleanup from dpw plow trucks)
    - Dumpster area clean out

She is also looking to develop an idea to tell tenants how to move out of my way on a certain day or time. Any ideas

[​IMG]

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So the town comes in and makes one pass and makes a mess and you have to clean it up?

Well if you can get all the cars to park on the inside of the horseshoe maybe half hr 45 mins.Shoveling ask some one else.

I wouls bid the whole thing and tell the town to stay out.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

at least 2 snow blowers, maybe 3 depending

everybody needs to move ther car or get towed.... how to go about it ? thats hard .. i hope most ppl leave during the day

3 inches, is a high trigger depth.. with the price of salt , i would tell them to go at least 2 inches.. if it freezes down.... big dollars to melt it away

heres another problem... say you get 1 inch.... then , then 2 days later you get 2 inches? does that justify a ploiwing? since you only need to take care of the spots? personally , unless you making bigg dollars here, or need them for lawn care... i would pass on this project, or give them a high number, expecting, to have head acres. and need a bobcat every time up

the DPW , is not gonna do a good job of plowing, which will all be thrown towards the cars.. were it will be left to freeze down... 3 inches is a high trigger depth, and you will not be plowing it as often as you should be, and there will be plenty of times the DPW plows and you do not, which is more to freeze down..

I would pass on it... but if you really want it 450 per cleaning... maximum of 3 hours spent on site... what ever spots are open at the time... give them a set time that you will come during the day , after every snow storm. give them a cut off time, which will require service that same day, or require it the next day, so they know when to expect it... and plan on using a bobcat

4. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

This is the fun that I was having trying to set a price. The city owns the road through the town houses so I can't tell them that I would do it however I already am pushing for at least a 2 inch trigger. For where I am, that will be all the time as it is.

She also wants a seasonal price. She is a new owner but she is going to look for the old plow records and give me the prices.

So I am told during the day most of the cars leave but what about the remaining? Can she say between certain hours they have to park in the inner circle?

I fully agree with either a large scale snow blower or two guys with mid-size.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i would also add 1 guy with a shovel

if your gonna take it. then i would just plan on plowing the drive lanes, before the city gets to them , that way you can control were the snow goes...

i plowed on a "join" venture.... and it wasnt any good- never again... like i said, they will not plow the way you do... so even if you set a 2 inch trigger... 1.5 inches falls , the DTW plows it , you dont come by.. now they just threw snow under cars, didnt find the curbs at all.. and it freezes down , because you didnt get there because it was below your trigger depth

sign them up an a seasonal , just plan on plowing at least the drive lane areas every storm, if the city comes by and salts it.. great if not you may need to

moving cars doesnt really work well on the same day... ppl are gone during the day, leaving one car at home.. they dont have the abblity to move them around based on times. on a once in a great while situation, they could call ppl , and block off the spots, and you might plow one day, then come back on the next day.... but if you talking about having every body in the center at 12:00 then by 2:00 every body move... its not realistic. you would be fare better to have the proper machine (bobcat) to just go between parked cars

6. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Well an update with the property. The walk ways up to each townhouse in the top of the picture have steps! How wonderful! Even better there are also steps to the left of the picture! I am differently going to need to have someone shovel and snowblow!

7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I dont see much of an issue...

Give yourself about 30 min to run through there during the strom, so people can leave for work in the morning.

Give yourself about an hour to go back and clean up. do this late morning or early afternoon. Clean as much as you can, there is plenty of room in there to plow single spots between cars. The only hard spot is on the left side where there is a sidewalk next to the parking. but most of it can just be pushed strait and piled in the grass in front of all the buildings. If i were doing it and the lot was fairly empty, i would try to push most of the snow into the inside top middle area of the horseshoe. you have a v it wouldnt take that long..

So you would have about 1.5 hours for say a 2-4 inch storm....and i would say two guys on sidewalks for about 1.5 to 2 hours.

you should be able to figure it out from there...

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i woundn't do anything with a 3" trigger you are plenty busy then

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

try this for size.. a little weird, but .. dingo with a blade..? could do the snow on the side walks, prior to the steps, and claen parking spots for your truck? just a thought

10. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

I was thinking along the lines of a dingo but I think i am over doing it and all the edges of the parking lot are raised up 3 feet or so. The only area that is not true is to the left of the picture. I am just going to have to shovel the stairs and snow blow a path around to get the blower to the upper levels. Not a big deal. I also have my loader WA-65 for the winter so I'll just move it if I have to. At a price of course!

Not that it goes in this section but I am still selling my SnowEx VeePro 6000... didn't sell on eBay.

11. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Totally agree, this is not that big of a deal, but if you cant get it down to a 1-2 inch trigger I would not take that lot. In less off course you don't have a full route, then take what you can get.

12. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Haha, I think some friends of mine just moved into that development this weekend.

13. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If DPW plows you plow. Simple as that. If there is enough snow for them to keep the roads safe for drivers, there then is enough snow for you to keep the parking lot safe