1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jerseys Ice/Snow Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by tls22, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Hey NJ guys so we dont have 5 million diff threads, desided to make one! For weather and updates on whats going on!

So i salted for my sub today for 4 hours, going back out at 4am for a final run!payup We also plowed some drive lanes. Wish this was allsnow, its a icy mess out there:dizzy:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Yep, ice = no fun. My crew was beat by the time they finished. Didnt seem like much fell up north, but the piles tell a different story. Looks like we get the same thing again tomorrow. Cant complain though we've already exceeded last years numbers and it is only the beginning.

3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

You got that rite, the piles seemed like we had 3 or 4 inches of snow! Yeah i cant complain that much, any snow in december is a bonus!

P..S hey nj guys thanks for keeping the thread going, we only have 8 other threads out there, real organized!:dizzy:

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

looking for alot of rain and ice tonite you guys up north might get lucky

5. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

I hope so. Spent today getting ready wesport

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

9:48 Snow/sleet here now, the roads are wet and a little slushy! I dont kno if we can justify a salt run when they are saying 2 inches of rain later haha:cry:

7. shovelracer

12:00AM sleet in Stillwater. This band of warm weather is creeping up fast though. If it isnt gonna snow it better rain an awful lot we still have 20 leaf cleanups left.

8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Def.....its been the tail of two season so far!:dizzy: Been salting at night, then doing leaf clean-ups during the day! If the weather is nice this week should get all the clean-ups done! Thankgod

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i hate the rainnnn!!! the upcoming forecast doesnt look promising either:cry: im moving to canadatymusic

10. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Plowed today 2 To 4 heavy stuff. Love my new set up. 2007GMC 2500 classic ext cab short bed duramax Western 8' pro plow plus Can't wait for the big storm payup

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

yep well i lied in my earlier post. had to go push 1" of heavy slush and shovel for about 5 hours but it was worth the payup. thank god we have an account 30 minutes north. now we need 3" of some powder:nod:

12. i cant take anymore of this icy slushy stuff its a big pain but at least its making me money payup cant weight for the powder payup

13. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

8 to12 powder at least 3 times this year :D

14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Well i drop the blade for the first time this year, i think from now on when the weatherman says rain i will put the plow on:dizzy:! Got 8 hours in the truck pushing 2 inches of slush, then 5 hours in a salter! Has not been a bad week for me at allpayup! Hope we see some powder soon, but atleast this ice stuff is making me money!

15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

where you from??:dizzy:

16. shovelracer

I swear today was worse than 2 feet of fresh. 3-4" of rock hard ice. Started out like corn snow, then started setting up real fast. As the day went on the harder and slower it got. This junk is beating the heck out of my equipment. 4 guys 5:30AM - 11:00PM. Got to go back out at 5:00AM to check lots and clear wind blown areas. Broke 3 shovels, a backup light, and a plow flag.

Question: What do you do if you have a customer that has a contract, but every other time it snows they shovel their own drive? As far as I am concerned they are taking food off my table. I have turned away over 15 people in the last week cause we cant handle anymore, but having these kind of customers means I dont always meet my numbers, all when there are people waiting to get on our schedule. What do you do. I charge per push by the way. Can I charge them something if they do it themselves and I show up?

17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

shovel racer drop them as a customer and weed out all the customers who actually want to go outside and shovel. there are enough people out there that dont want to get cold and you seem to have people calling you so i would go that route.

18. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Drop them as quick as you can, driveways are a dime a dozen! You will make the money up, plus you dont have the time to baby them!

19. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

Charge them anyway!
    I ran in to this situation a couple of times, and like you I have people calling to get on the list but am too busy to take them on at this point so I have been forwarding some of the calls to other guys in my area. For instance I had one customer last storm that shoveled. I sent her her bill anyway. She can fight it if she likes but for me to send a $40,000 dollar truck with a $5000 dollar plow loaded with diesel fuel costing $3.60 a gallon, insured for a Million dollars driven by a guy getting $40/hr well I just have to charge her regardless.

20. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Long Valley 3 times a year not this year Sorry

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007