1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jersey

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by njsnowremoval, Sep 26, 2010.

1. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone was running plows in nj. i am trying to find out what the warning light laws were ad cant get a straight answer. If anyoe has any ideas id apreciate it, i saw a few guys running hideaway strobes but i thought those were illegal. thanks agien. :drinkup:
  2. 08f150

08f150 Member

nj lights

Technically...you need a permit for amber lights in NJ and they're meant for tow and/or service or construction trucks. Usually you have to go through the police dept in the town you live or work in to get the permit. I'm not sure that plow trucks actually apply to the law. Is anybody going to bother you for putting a couple yellow lights on your truck so you can be seen? Most likely not.
    The hideaway strobes, I'm not sure if they're covered specifically. I work in NJ, if I saw you plowing a lot or a driveway with lights on would I stop you? No way! As long as you're using them for visibility and not trying to break any laws you'll probably be ok.
  3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I used hideaways and left them on while driving and never had any issues. long as you have commercial plates and are obviously using them for work no one should bust you
  4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

The two posters above have the right idea.......amber lights you need a permit( as with strobes you will prob not be bothered) and strobes im not sure about the law. You can be pulled over running strobes from job to job....but like eglc said you will prob not be bothered....as i do the same. My insurance requires i have a amber light.
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if you asked the cops around here they wouldnt even have an answer for you lol... pretty much do what ever you want light wise
  6. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

Thanks guys i think im going to just apply for the amber light permit when i get my truck and hopefully get it, then ill probolly be doing some hidden and some not.
  7. SnowJersey

SnowJersey Senior Member

amber is fine

white/clear or red in your rear lights is illegal in NJ but its not really enforced. Don't see a need to keep them on from job to job though if your just driving. Why draw the extra attention
  8. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

Last year during one of the storms the visability was really bad and when I stopped at a gas station one of the local officers told me to drive with my flashers and emergency strobes in dash and in the back for visability. I also have a revolving beacon light on my roof. I however rarely have it on in the streets unless I am doing a driveway pushing snow across or something. The cops otherwise have never bothered me. If your not showing off the cops are not going to bother you from doing your job.