1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jersey Subbing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by info4tim, Sep 5, 2014.

1. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Anyone have experience in plowing as a sub contractor? I have a jeep wrangler lifted, with 31" Duratracs, n a 6.8" meyer plow.

Looking for hrly rates for small developments, park lots, etc. Thanx so much for any info!

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

What year is your jeep
    Show us a pic of your jeep
    What do you feel you are worth an hours

3. exclusive

exclusive Member

For a jeep your probably looking around 60 an hour give or take

4. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Was already at more than that last yr.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Show a pic if jeep and plow
    List your experience
    What do you want to make

6. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

That's not my question. I need "going rates" I believe.

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Well if your jeep is a pos and you never plowed no one will pay you the same as a newer jeep operated by a person with 5 years experience

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Nobody cares about your lift or the size of your tires. You already got "going rates", and apparently what you got last year wasn't good enough for you, so go get your own contracts then big boy!

9. JustJeff

****, I don't know what people make in your neck of the woods, but that sounds generous as hell to me for a jeep with a tiny plow!

10. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

That wasnt my question. To refresh your memory..."...Looking for hrly rates for small developments, park lots, etc." was the meat of the post I believe.

11. JustJeff

And your answer was that you "already made more than that last year". Somebody told you, and you didn't want to hear that, so go figure it out yourself.

12. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

To all negative neds/nillies out there:

Must be the weather/moon phase. I have over 20 yrs in the plow saddle. Thought I'd list my vehicle specs so folks might be able to better assist me with my question. After 5 yrs just got back into it last year. I've heard a couple of diff local pricings n thought I'd throw out the same question here. Sorry to interrupt your life. If you don't have something constructive to add...here's an idea...Don't Post.

13. JustJeff

Nobody cares how many years you've "had in the saddle", it all comes down to equipment, and a suspension left and tires don't count. What counts is the size of your plow, age of your equipment. And if the number someone above posted for YOUR EQUIPMENT doesn't matter to you or was the same last year as this, than go figure it out for yourself. Most of us spend upwards of 60-70K on any given truck and equipment, and if you think you're so valuable, as said earlier, go get your own contracts.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  14. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

You didn't give enough info orginlaly to get an answer I was far from negative I need more info to give an answer still would like to know ir see pics if your equipment but I would be at $70 max
    My subs get $75-$125
    Rang from a 250 pick up with 8 foot to a 550 with Vee box salter

15. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

A 4x4 with a 7ft plow gets $70 here in NJ

16. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

A jeep in the Mid Atlantic is worth about $60 an hour tops. If you're getting more good for you. A general rate for small developments and shopping plazas can;t be determined because different equipment gets different rates. My 810's on 3/4 to 1 ton trucks move a lot more snow then some tiny 6.5 Meyer thus I try and do $120-$150 an hour. That being said that 6.5 Meyer would be great for certain lots.

17. JustJeff

To me, that's really good money for your equipment. If it were me, I wouldn't give you **** with your equipment and attitude.

18. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Ponyboy thank you! Just the answer I was looking for! Thanx again.

19. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Lilweeds Thanx so much for your response! Just what I've been looking for.

20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol, how wide was that plow?

Seriously, if you stick to the right type of small "very small" lots you can get in and out of quickly, you could maybe make more, but honestly when we can send out an F150 with a 7'6 or 8' plow on front and you're not any more nimble because the jeep has such a short wheelbase in low snow depths, theres no reason you would get paid even that much "as the f150s".

coupled with the fact that you'd likely run out of traction with heavy/high snow amounts, or when we really need you most in bad storms, you'd be the first stuck not able to move piles of snow other subs are out with 1 ton trucks and 3000lbs in the bed with 9' plows moving easily.