1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jersey Laws

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nnjplow845, Jun 29, 2009.

1. nnjplow845

nnjplow845 Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they know the laws for New jersey with having strobes and amber lights on their truck for plowing. I got stopped last year and was told that i needed them even though i only do residential and bussiness. i spoke to some people and i have gotten mixed awnsers on weather i need to have a permit from the state to have the lights on my truck. if anyone has any clues please tell thanks
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

yes absolutely you need an amber light permit. go online to the state mvc and download the form.Get it filled out and signed by your town police chief, if he deems it necessary that you have one, then send it to the state, with a letter explaining what you need it for.Usually, they only give you one if you plow for a state or municipal contract, or are a towtruck. it took me 1 year and 3 letters, to haul oversize loads. Commercial plates required and you better have the permit to show bergen county police. GOOD LUCK!
  3. nnjplow845

nnjplow845 Junior Member

That's another gray area because I don't have a contract with the town or the government. My truck that is used is my personal one so it's not commercial. With these things I have been told by someone that the state won't give me a permit.
  4. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

doubt youl get it.
  5. snowjunkie

snowjunkie Junior Member
    from NJ

NJ amber light permit application

Here is the link to the NJ DMV amber light permit application.
    Says you must have a municipal / government contract to be elidgable and have chief of police sign it.

6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I hate to open a bigger can of worms here, but is your personal vehicle covered by your commercial auto policy? If not, I'd forget worrying about an amber light and get yourself covered!!
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

why you got stopped on private property anyway ?

I use my ambers for years and never had a problem so far

you can try getting the light permit from your local dmv even tho I doubt it will keep u out of trouble having strobes or light bar on the street unless you are doing public streets with a contract

I work for the DMV inspection facility and if you have an emergency light u must have a permit to pass inspection
  8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Wow, Glad I dont live in Jersey.....Talk about lame.
  9. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

yea thats NJ
  10. C.Solan

C.Solan Junior Member

Where i am as long as there is snow on the ground the cops wont care. Im in central jersey
  11. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

stay there.
  12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yep- if you're in Bergen- forget about it- they'll pull you over for looking at a county cop wrong

MK-X Where in Bergen are you? I'm near Mahwah
  13. MK-X

MK-X Junior Member

I'm in Carlstadt.
  14. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

F- New Jersey knock on wood I'd never had a problem with not having an amber light.
  15. topdj

topdj Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  16. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

LED's are great now I am not from NJ but i would guess that if your on private property and had them activated that they couldn't ticket you once you leave private property you shut them off they are grey