1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New jersey General Liability Insurance for Sub-contractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tls22, Nov 24, 2014.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Hey New jersey guy!

Looking to see what guys are paying for general liability for snowplowing as a sub-contractor. I'm not providing any type of deicing services, and have my trucks registered commercial w/plow through auto insurance

One company told me today it might be between 3,000-5,000 dollars…..is this so even if I'm not holding contracts? That type of payment increases the over-head greatly, also at the same time not knowing if you will even make half of that back sub-contracting.

Thanks Tim!
  2. gutter21

gutter21 Member

I paid 3300 for my last policy that expires in February. Same situation. I here that it went up
  3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Ugh Thats disgusting….you are just a subcontractor also? The policy was just for the year?

Did you end up pulling a profit last winter?
  4. wcb607a

wcb607a Junior Member
    from NJ

i have 3 pieces of equipment for snow removal and my insurance is $7200 with many years of experience. I was pricing out insurance for a sub that I might hire, but the snow insurance quote to have sub have his own insurance would be at least 2500 for residental.
  5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thats amazing, thanks for the info. Today i was told that many Insurance CO don't even want to give snow removal policies out. This is really making me wonder if i want to do it anymore. Plus my work schedule is 24 on every few days, so the chances are high that i will miss storms.
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It's an unfortunate reality- there are only a handful of carriers who will write snow insurance- mine is rolled into my comm auto and gen liability but I have heard for guys who have it separate it can run $3500 and up… hard to shell out hat kinda $$ when there's no guarantee you will ever get it back.
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

It just sucks to dish this type of money out up front to do things the correct way, just to know that 5 others guys are just throwing caution to the wind. My father has it all rolled into one and that seems like the best bet. My friend just did that to his llc package but it took months to get it worked out. He had to submit to several carriers until finally he found one that would write it