1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jersey Blizzard (first storm)

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Jgramlich, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

I will have some pictures up shortly, have to get my camera out of the truck.

I thought you guys might like to hear about my first storm owning my own truck.

My '91 Bronco plowed for a total of 58 hours since Sunday after noon. After 2 hours, all but one lugnut sheered off my front driver side wheel. I took one lugnut off every other wheel and slapped them on there. I plowed the next 37 hours 1 nut short on every wheel before NAPA opened. Apart from getting stuck every 20 minutes, the truck ran like a champ. We got a total of 31 inches!

I think it's worth noting that our F250 is still stranded somewhere on route 18 (since Sunday 9pm, we can't find it). Our F450 continues to erupt transmission fluid. Our other 250 lost reverse. Our 750 1 ton is sitting in a lot because the blow kind of exploded.

How'd you guys fare?

Door to my mom's store:
  2. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

So I take it your a decent sized company? Thats drift is HUGE!

BOSS TOY Member

Just another day at the office eh.tymusic Where is my snow.:mad:
  5. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

boss toy you can keep your 30" snow storms we are not equipped here for that much. I only lost one truck before the storm becuase of a $10 part that I coulndt buy becuase everyone was closed.

thank god for my friend and his cat 955 loader. I had a drift off one of my commercial account buildings that was 15ft high. I still have more to do today becuase I couldnt get to them because of stranded cars.

BOSS TOY Member

I would take 12 inches off your hands any more than that and we would be in trouble too. Hope your makeing LOTS of $$ CJ7. Hang in there it cant snow forever.
  7. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

where is that store ? looks so familiar
  8. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

We found the 250! Our driver sat with the truck for 16 hours. He ended up walking 3 miles in waist deep snow to the nearest exit where we picked him up. The truck got towed to Cream Ridge (ridiculously far away). It looks like it got rear ended by a loader and the 4WD won't engage. That puts every truck out of service except for my Bronco. It was still chugging along today hitting some of our residentials.

It's amazing how much money people are willing to throw at you to clear their driveway.

I think I picked the right year to buy my truck.

Here's the latest picture: "still plowing, still getting stuck" (I'm sitting in a ditch off a driveway)

9. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

On Christmas eve I started my bobcat skidsteer and it started squirting hydro fluid, a mouse ate thru a hose... The meyers plow on my truck suddenly stopped working while plowing my large commercial on sunday night, tarped the hood/plow and put my backup power unit on, still no good, drove to jobsite manually dropped plow, got stuck, abandoned truck, walked home, dugout monday morning and straight bladed lot with blade stuck down. Lastly a customer that didn't sign a new contract called to find out why it wasn't done. After verifying I would get paid I called a friend with a large front end loader and got the job done. Still smilin just didn't make much money.
  10. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

dang you had worst luck than me, I had two meyer pumps crap out
  11. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

I continued to be amazed at the carnage this storm has caused, especially specific areas of NJ. What a difference a few miles makes. We seem to have gotten the least (haha 12") in the entire Tri-State Area.
  12. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Shouldn't plow with meyers!
  13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How do you shear off all but 1 lugnut? You mean they all came loose?
  14. sappel138

sappel138 Member

Just got home to MD after trekking up to Tinton Falls. Got my Ford stuck 4 times, but was able to get out and keep on going. I was driving from job to job, and people were throwing money at me to do their driveways when I was done. I couldn't believe how much some folks were willing to pay to get just their drives done! I was right off Rt 18. Had a cop flag me down and ask me to pull some idiot out who had driven around the cones the PD put out to stop people from driving down the ramp onto 18. The ramps were not completely plowed, and the idiot gunned it thinking he could "break through". Uh, the cones were there for a REASON a-hole....

Abandoned cars EVERYWHERE. Rt 35 & Rt 18 looked like parking lots...Check out some of these pics:

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

wow thats some serious snow!
  16. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

Is it even possible to plow that much snow?:eek:
  17. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Yeah every lug nut sheered off... there were metal shavings all over the rim. Lugs were fine though. Wheel must have been loose or something.

As far as 18 and 35 goes it was like the twilight zone. Abandoned cars everywhere. My philosophy is pull nobody out... shouldn't be out in your honds civic. I drove a cop home and helped dig out an ambulance that was it.
  18. lilsteve08

lilsteve08 Senior Member

UPDATE bobcat skidsteer had a hose that was chewed on by mice and meyer plow stopped working because TURN SIGNAL FUSE BLEW OUT.....never had a fuse blow out and cause plow to stop suddenly, I can see a jumper from a tailgate salter wire being hooked to a fuse, not a plow though. I removed the mouse condo from between the engine and wheel motors in the skidsteer and dropped off at bobcat dealer.... About $300 parts and labor.
  19. Siegs

Siegs Junior Member

Thats a hell of a storm, we could really use some of that snow up here, starting to miss my John Deere.
  20. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

We did pretty good up here in the northern part of the state. Id say we got just around 2 feet. sunday night was very wild, almost no visibility. but it was the first storm plowing with this truck and i'm very proud of it...only got stuck once and blew a hydraulic line, not too shabby for the first blizzard. put in about 26 hours in total and thank god school was out this week!