1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New jersey 1987 f250hd plow truck

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by joepetrilli, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Maybe good for second truck $1500 new battery and alternator free cap.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not bad for $1500. I'd scoop it up if you were a lot closer. I had an '89 with the 300 straight 6 and it was a tank.

On a side note....I'm gonna go crazy if I see any more "HD's" added to trucks that aren't labeled HD from the factory.
  3. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Its a definitely a HD thats what I odered almost 25 years ago and that why I owned it for 25 years. Bought new Ford F350.
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I don't see an "HD" on the badge......
  5. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

F-250 HD was never an existant model... just something people make up to make them selves feel warm and fuzzy inside about there truck! lol
  6. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

I'm afraid your wrong I odered this truck HD and at the time that was 8600 GVW instead of a regular 250 which I think was 6000 something. Even have the original window sticker showing HD.FYI
  7. exmark1

Your missing his point... there maybe a HD package but the model of the truck has never been F-250 HD (like the chevy's are a 2500 HD model)
  8. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

Guess you never seen one before?

9. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I always though HD stood for Hi Def... lol
  10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

from 86-97 ford offered a F250, and a F250HD. (it may go back even before 86). the HD model absolutely existed in these years and had a full floating sterling 10.25" rear axle and a dana 50 front axle. the light duty versions had a semi floating sterling 10.25" axle and a dana 44 front axle. the only year that i'm aware ford ever badged the F250 as a "heavy duty" was in 1997. this was becuase the light duty has a completly different body style first offered in 1997. prior to 1997 you had to look at the axles to tell the difference as there was no HD badging.

JRS - is that pic you posted of a 1997 F250?

If you look closely at the original posting, you can see the hub sticking out of the rear wheel, indiciating it is a full floating rear axle, thus most likely a HD model.

ford did some funny things put a dana 44 light duty axle up front with a full floating heavy duty axle in the rear (or vis versa), but generally speaking, if the truck has a GVW of 8600 lbs, then it is the HD model.
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Yes, there were F250's with different weight packages and axles. Then in the mid 90's Ford offered the
    F-250 Heavy Duty. Some F250's had the heavy rear axle but the smaller front 4x4 hubs, so what are those called? Since GM added the "HD" to their badges, it seems everybody calls their truck an HD. I'm just nit pickin' because I find the whole HD thing annoying and gimmicky.

A car dealer here had a 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 2x4 gasser for sale and they listed it as a 2500HD...I wanted to scream.

If this truck was closer to me, I'd most likely buy it and replace the plow of course.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  12. exmark1

I forgot about the fact they did that in 1997 only lol
  13. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

not that it makes any difference but i dont understand why all the people with newer chevy 2500s have to say 2500 HD, theres not a light duty version so theres obviously only 1 option you dont need to say hd we already know that
  14. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Holy threadjack batman!!! Who cares HD, non-HD!! Let the guy sell his truck and quit arguing over insignificant crap! Thanks to GM for the "Great HD Debate"!!!

This is what happens when there isn't enough snow to keep people happy???

TO THE OP: Looks like a good deal for someone, good luck with the sale.
  15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Post a picture of the drivers door sticker, it tells the story.
  16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if it has a 9 inch semi floating rear axle it is a 250 LD.
    if it has a sterling 10.25 full floating rear axle it is a 250 HD.

that truck has a 10.25 in it, so it is a 87 F-250 HD
    where in Jersey are you located,
    and what engine and trans combo is in it? i may have someone interested.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  17. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

What motor is in it?
    Is it an auto??
    How many miles are on it??
    Is it road worthy??
    Whats the underside look like??
    Everything works?
  18. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

would you consider a trade for an exmark 52'' commercial walk behind mower plus cash?
  19. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

i thought i should jump in on this as well lol, but yes chevy in the mid 2000's (maybe still does) offered a light duty 3/4 ton truck with a lesser gvw. any way good luck with sale!
  20. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

my offer still stands.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.