1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jeep what size plow

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Joe Lombardo, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Just purchased a new Jeep Wrangler sport and will be putting a Meyers drive pro plow on it. My question is what size plow will this vehicle handle?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I would not go less than 7' I use 7 1/2

3. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

My options are limited to either the 6'0" or the 6'8" in the Meyers plow. I think from what you are saying I should go with the 6'8". Any other info you are willing to give me will be appreciated. I traded in my F250 for this Jeep and hope that I made the right choice.

4. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

6ft8 would be good.
    you did just what i want to do.
    imo i dont think you made a mistake what type of plowin are you going to do with it???
    can you post some pics when you get everything hooked up.

5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

From what I've heard, the 6.8" Meyer Drive Pro is a great plow for
    a Wrangler. I'll prolly be getting another Jeep with that same
    plow next year sometime. If you get it please report back and
    let us know how both perform.

6. RangerDogg

RangerDogg Senior Member
    from ma

I plowed with a kid this year he has a rubi with a 6'6" meyer on his and it does great good luck.

7. snowrangler

snowrangler Junior Member

I put a 6.8drivepro on my 01 Wrangler sport. Going into my 2nd year with it if I was to do it again I might go one size bigger due to the wide track of my tires-ect.At full angle my tires track over windrow.But all that said its nice to be able to plow between cars in my works parking lot.also works on wider sidewalks,bike pathes and places big plowes will never venture!!

8. theplowmeister

from MA

Exactly ...

9. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

theplowmeister not to go off topic but why do you have a dana 60 rear with 31 inch tires? you must have like 4-5 inch of clearance under the axle?

i am putting a 7' 6" speadcast on my jeep i think it will be a good combo

10. theplowmeister

from MA

I used to do a LOT of off roading. I use 33" tires for off road I wanted a reverse cut rear end and a reverse cut D44 is no stronger than a D35 so I went with a D60 reverse cut.

11. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I would go 7', had a 6.5' on my old YJ, an extra 6" would have been nice. If the snow is too heavy you can always pick the blade up.

12. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

what dana 44 did you compair to? there are several guys with 44s in my club that run 36-39 inchh tires on a 44. i see other snap d35 with 31's. why not go with a 8.8 they are cheap have disk breaks and cheap easy to find parts. i have a dana 60 at my house that i refuse to install because of weight and ground clearnce issues. my off road jeep has a 9" and the one in my sig is getting a 44 asap there is zero advantage with a 60 over a 44/8.8 just to run 33 inch tires. i ran 38 inch tires all last season with my 9" and dana 30 front i did fine. i wasnt stupid i knew i was pushing my luck but i did fine..

where did you go wheeling? what club do you belong to?

13. theplowmeister

from MA

There is if you want a REVERSE CUT diff in the back to straighten out the drive line. A reverse cut D44 ring gear is no stronger than a D35 non reverse cut.

Moab, NM, AZ, CO, WY, ID, CA, NV, WA, MA, ME, NH, VT
    Clubs; non current
    Patriot Jeepers and NewEngland and BayState Jeepers

14. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

I would recommend going with the Snoway 22 7'6" with Down Pressure or as a close second is the SnowDogg MD 75 (7'6").. If your brand loyal, then one of the Fisher Homesteader 7'4"/Western Subrubanite 7'4" twins may work.

But a 7'6" blade would really be wise as at a full sweep, your probably looking somewhere between 6-6.5' of coverage. On a Jeep thats about 74" wide (6'2") your going to appreciate the larger width sizes...

15. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Fisher Vplow on Rubicon?

Plowmeister my good man, May I ask you a question? What exactly would I need to do to my stock 2004 Jeep Rubicon to put on a Fisher Vplow? It seems like it would be to heavy. But you clearly have figured out the salution.:salute:
    Thanks
    Ken

16. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

17. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Thanks very much Bigdboots, Guess I will stay with what I have. I am not as handy or skilled as the Plowmeister. Nice work he did to get it working. I wonder how different the Fisher mount I have on the jeep is from the Vplow mount ? hmmm Ill ask dealer,LOL

Best of Luck with tomorrow nights storm!!

18. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

I'm also very interested to see if a fisher v plow is possible on a jeep?... its like 800 lbs tho..... ANYONE????

19. theplowmeister

from MA

Meyer makes a 7 1/2 V thats under #600 :) that is less than the Fisher RD plow ive used on jeeps for better than 24 years.

20. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

but it's a Meyers..........