1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Jeep owner (1990 Wrangler) with "Plow Package" Questions.

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by HarleyDave, Oct 7, 2008.

1. HarleyDave

HarleyDave Junior Member

Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just bought a used 1990 jeep wrangler. It is an automatic, and I stumbled across this site (Very Nice!) wondering, in a casual sort of way, how much work it would take to start plowing safely. I'm guessing some work may be needed since most vehicles come with a "Plow Package" straight from the dealer.

All I'm looking to do, is plow my 50 foot paved drive way, and possibly one neighbors drive way. The location is northern NJ, and its not a problem for me to start up the jeep, plow the first 3 to 5 inches of snow, then hours later, start it up again after the next 3 to 5 inches of snow, and so on. I don't HAVE to have a machine that will plow 12+ inches of snow all in one shot. Currently that every hour approach is how I shovel it by hand. Every hour or so during the night I run outside with the shovel and hammer it out (awesome calorie burn!). I also buy steaks and corona before the "big storm" moves in, and I BBQ the steaks, in total darkness. Its a strange ritual I agree, but very cool in a sort of Anglo Saxon beer consuming barbarian way. I digress.

My question is directed more towards:

1. Whats the smallest practical plow for the wrangler and the light duty snow plowing?

2. Does the stock 1990 jeep really need any suspension , transmission, power steering, or frame upgrades/modifications in order to do such light duty plowing?

If its going to be a huge project, I might pass on the idea. I'm assuming that its safe to plow a short driveway in first gear, or even leaving the shifter in "Drive?"

I appreciate everyone's time. There aren't alot of places where you can find basic information, especially geared to do it yourself inclined people. I cant wait for the next nor easter beer-bbq........wesport
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

And jeeps are great for driveways.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

got it right
  4. HarleyDave

HarleyDave Junior Member

Wow thank you. I think it may be plow time!
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

check out meyer driveline series in case you might wanna do more driveways