1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Into Commercial Snow Removal-need Advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scottmcherry, Aug 16, 2008.

1. scottmcherry

scottmcherry Junior Member

I Have 18 Years Experince In The Landscape Industry And Snow Removal-this Year I'm Going To Venture Into The Snow Removal Business Myself. I Need To Come Up With A Snow Proposal/bid Sheet And Some Sort Of Contract Soon. I Have The Opportunity To Bid A Few Places( 1 30-unit Condo,4 Shops,15 Residential Drives,2 Doctors Offices) That Are In Conjunction With My Lawn Route. I'm Thinking $125.00 Per Hr. For 08 Ram 2500 W/ 8.5' Fisher Xtreme V, And$110/ton For Salt--$38.50/bag Calc.chlor. Are These Numbers In Line Or Not? I Don't Want To Be The Low-baller But I Want To Stay Within Reasonable Range. I Need To Put Pricing Down On A Bid Sheet And Was Wondering If Anyone Had Any Examples I Could Take A Look At. Lawn Bids And Contracts Are Easy--alot More To Account For In Snow. Any Help Would Be Appreciated

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Better check salt prices and availabilty. You sound way too cheap for salt.
    Check the Elements of Business forum for contracts and bid sheets.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

:nod:too cheap on salt

sounds like alot of work for 1 truck? dont get in over your head, if they are lawn customers, and you do a bad job this year, you might lose the lawn account...only take what u know u can handle...of course place bids on all , just include a phase" that you reseve the right to withdrae your bid, at any time prior to signing.... and explain it too them ahead of time

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, i think a ton of salt costs that much for us in some places in the US. I know we can get about $100 for a salting of a parking lot and only use 5-10 bags of salt, not a whole ton. Hell for a whole ton, id be charging double that at least. Figuring that most spreaders only hold around a ton and you'd have to drive to go get refilled again.

5. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Salt prices sound low.
    I'd have any contract reviewed by a local attorney to ensure that you're covered as well as local laws.
    If you've plowed for years I'm sure you know what you can handle, but remember your truck is going to break. Have a back up plan.