1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Install, truck lights will not switch on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by hopkid929, Dec 27, 2012.

1. hopkid929

hopkid929 Junior Member
    from Durham

Used fisher plow, new wiring, 2005 gmc 1/2 ton, MM2, three plug, insta-act, 3 port module with joystick.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I have been searching the forum but cannot find a similar issue. I have installed the new light harness kit, relay, power cable, control cable and adapter to the truck and have 100% function with the plow. My only issue is that I do not have truck headlights. If i disconnect the single power plug on the battery harness on the battery side, or single plug on harness A - module side, the headlights come back on (this disconnects power to the module, you can hear it switch off). It seems that the module cannot tell when the plow is disconnected, it is always trying to route power to the plow lights, regardless if the plow is connected or not.

I have tried switching all the combinations of A side or B side on the HB3/4 plugs on the harness. I tried with and without daytime running light wire connected. I have swapped the module and a plow from another truck and still get the same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It seems that the module cannot tell when the plow is disconnected, it is always trying to route power to the plow lights, regardless if the plow is connected or not.

thats odd,,,only thing that "tells" the module that the plow is hooked up is the bk/og wire off the plow motor, which getting gnd from the 2 plug

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

could it be something with the Daytime Running Lights??

4. hopkid929

hopkid929 Junior Member
    from Durham

So when you plug the motor into the power cable, it completes the loop and powers on the module?.. this would mean i have a closed loop on the power cable..seems to make sense. I'll check the cable tomorrow, seems pretty simple.

Does the relay do anything more than route power to the pump motor?

I don't think it has anything to do with the Daytime lights.. i tried both with and without.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  5. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

Make sure that the 2 prong power/ground connecter is good they tend to burn out a lot. You may have to replace the plow side and truck side wires. You could take jumper cables and try to make a good ground with them.

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Never hooked up a set yet.

7. hopkid929

hopkid929 Junior Member
    from Durham

The truck power cable has continuity on each line, I have tried another plow that is working fine on another truck. I'm convinced it's on my wiring, but not sure where.

This seems like a stupid issue, but I can see how disconnecting power under the hood every time is going to get old.

8. unhcp

Do we think it could be a bad module?

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking bad relay?

10. hopkid929

hopkid929 Junior Member
    from Durham

It does sound like a relay problem, but I think it would be an internal relay in the module... the relay that connects to the battery and 2 prong power cable simply directs current to the hydraulic pump when actuated by the control ( I think)... so that would lead to a relay being stuck closed in the module... but I think I ruled that out also. When I switch to a friends plow and still had the same problem, we swapped modules after. It was off a dodge, but I still had the very same problem.. no truck lights with the plow disconnected.

11. unhcp

was the dodge module green 3 port?

12. hopkid929

hopkid929 Junior Member
    from Durham

It was a three port, don't remember if it was green.. the plow worked fine though with that module.

13. unhcp

do you want to try another module? i have plenty

14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I am not a fisher guy but in the westerns there were 2 relays. I would make sure both were hooked up correct accourding to the directions and if still nothing make sure head lights are plugged in. If still nothing then replace the relays. 20 or so bucks a piece.

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/22372_050098.pdf

15. unhcp