1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Install Gone Bad

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Gideon, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Gideon

Gideon Junior Member

I want got delivered a new plow from our and only Jim... Much Thanks. I had my new BOSS plow delivered straight to the installers. They informed me of a hydraulic hose with stripped-threads that they have received on shipment.. I looked closer to the tightening nut and noticed teeth marks left by a wrench... I questioned that it was their fault, and he explained that they tried to attach the stripped-thread :mad:

The next-day when I go pick up my truck, I'm informed by the installer there is now a oil-leak.. something to do with a seal/hose going to the pump.

Today, I wake up I see enough oil on my garage floor to worry.

I will be calling BOSS and letting them know of this install and that they are supposed to be authorized to sell BOSS, but failed to mention any warranty or protocol I should follow and I also talked to Jim to keep him in the loop to what these installers have said about shipment.

What more should I do?
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

How much did they charge for the install? Take the plow back to them and make them take care of business!
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Was the installer a BOSS dealer? If so I would think they would just take care of the warranty work for you.
  4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Let me get this straight. You bought a plow from Jim, then bring it to another dealer for install?

But a lot of you guys ***** about Menards supplying their own salt (because they can do it cheaper).

In the landscaping end, would you prefer to buy and install the plants or have the customer supply the material and you install?

Sorry, and no offense to Jim, but buy your stuff where it is going to be installed and serviced. You expect that out of your customers, so why would you do it differently?
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Than ASSUME the local dealer is trying to &^%$ you? ESI are great folks but they never looked at that plow, they shipped it in the condition they received it. You don't think maybe BOSS could have made a mistake?

Have you even talked to the dealer yet to see if they have a plan to resolve this or did you just go ballistic?
  6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

As much as we may or may not like it, a dealer is a dealer no matter who sold the plow. He is in Canada, so buying a plow from the states is not at all unusual. If we installed another companys plow, when it left here it would be good to go, because thats how you stay in business. I would expect nothing less from any dealer that displays a Boss banner out front.. The plow is brand new and under warranty, they should fix it. Now, when this gentleman needs another plow in the future...where is he going to go? To the dealer that does not want to help him with warranty problems? Doubt it....
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think Boss is going to send out a hose with stripped ends. On top of that, what dealer would then try to install a hose with stripped ends? A new hose is not that hard to come by.

I agree with buying where you're going to have it installed.

I too just bought a UTV plow from Jim about a month ago, but I would never take it to a dealer to have them inatall it.
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree to an extent, last year we bought a BX12, 8ft skid steer plow with wings and a Downeaster poly v box. The only dealer around here who could accommodate all my needs was a BOSS and Downeaster dealer but didn't want to deal what-so-ever so I bought it elsewhere and saved a bunch of money! But if I were only buying one plow I would definitely buy it locally unless there was a huge difference. But any reputable dealer has a "suggested retail" and their "actual retail" price and there shouldn't be too much difference. Our Fisher dealer said the Extreme V SS has a suggested retail of 7k but he said the actual retail is between 5800-6200.00 with freight.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Where in Canada are you? The dealer could have said be only installs plows he sells but why give up the install money.
  10. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Take it back to the shop that installed the plow and have them resolve the problem. Whether its a warranty issue or a dumb ass installer. It's a brand new plow and they should replace the hose and other compromised parts, free of charge. You paid for a service... where the plow came from is irrelevant.
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I don't see where the dealer has refused to do anything.
    Is it possable the parts were damaged during shipping?
    He states the dealer thought they had resolved the problem.
    Bad install/assembly maybe but nobody's perfect.
    I still wonder; has the guy told him he won't do anything or is he just pissed and on a rant?
    Did he walk in the garage see the oil and jump on the computer before he ever called the dealer?
    I agree the dealer should fix it but unless he refuses there really is no issue.
  12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Im not sure he refused to fix it, I do know he charged the customer for the hose he replaced during install
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thats not right:nono:
  14. Outd00r Maint..

Outd00r Maint.. Senior Member

@Gideon did twin equipment install the plow?
  15. Gideon

Gideon Junior Member

I chose Jim because I couldn't refuse the price I was given. It was a significant savings over the 2 local authorized dealers.

I had the install done at Commercial-Tire and Battery in Ottawa, the install was charged 5.5 hours at $89.95 per hour, total of $494.72 + tax plus the cost of the damaged hose $28.

The installers haven't refused to fix this initially, they were content on me driving home with oil-leaking... but everything from calling BOSS to telling the installers to call BOSS is the issue. They had this plow in their possession for a number of days before it even went on the truck knowing it had damaged parts without notifying me or calling BOSS about warranty is what pisses me off.

Another thing is I don't see how hose-threads get damaged on a shipment, doesn't all those parts come in a box.. and I see no damaged whatsoever on the parts-box
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  16. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I would of REFUSED the plow install.
    I have always learned to REFUSE anything that isnt 100%
    I would of went off..

Also something that might help you in your "case" is: If the plow WAS defectieve. A real Dealer would of inspected the plow BEFORE they installed it. My dealer ALWAYS calls my cell if they have any problems or questions with my installs or any other work for that matter!

Seems to me like they rigged it to work, so they could get their money.
    Ya never know, That might ome back and bite you in the @$$!

what happens if down the road, something major goes wrong due to this.. Then boss looks back at the records and says "Oh you accepted that install- That means EVERYTHING was in working order!......Sorry we cant do anything for you"
  17. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Why would "they" call Boss? You bought the plow from someone else and wanted it installed and hired them. "They" opened the box, find damaged part, replace and charge you for new one. Now you have a leak somewhere and go on line , name them/bash them before seeing if they are going to work with you to resolve the issue? I will have you agree that I probably would have called you, had I found damaged parts, but since you basically decided to become the general on this project, you need to assume some responsibility in calling the dealer you purchased it from for hidden damage/warranty/shipping issues. Lastly, I would like to see the guy's that can install a new plow off and out of the crate in 5.5 hr's! Plenty of work down here, my dealer said it would be 10-11 hurs for a complete install on my '02. You start out your comment that "they" haven't refused to fix so where/what is the problem? MUD
  18. Gideon

Gideon Junior Member

Any company like the one I dealt with that repeatedly says and I quote, "pride ourselves on providing great service to our customers." ...that shows anything but. Yes, THEY should of called BOSS, them being authorized BOSS dealers, they had the opportunity to show me what "great service" they had to offer instead of showing me how much a damaged part cost, they could of at least mentioned I was/was not covered under warranty... the word warranty didn't even come out of their lips.

Anybody receiving shipment and finds damaged parts...
    • wouldn't you thing they would of notified the shipper/buyer??
    • still attempt to install a "stripped-thread" which they claim was due from shipping?? ..and think they won't damage whatever they are trying to attach a damaged hose too??

I will continue to keep name-bashing them every-time I hear them say and I quote, "pride ourselves on providing great service to our customers."

Ya, I did become the "general" ..why?? because I won't accept some Manager and his installer's BS who are content to sit on their ass while my plow leaks and accept no responsibility whatsoever, but feel its ok to point fingers?! And just so you know MUD, this general has also contacted the seller who sold me this plow brand-new to keep him in the loop and notified of any changes.

Like I said, yes they haven't refused to fix this, but who's going to refuse money... but they will not under warranty, since they resorted now to pointing fingers and are assuming no accountability on their own part... I won't give them one more cent, some business!!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  19. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Just before I go on a rant about unqualified generals here, couple more questions.
    You contacted original seller, are they willing to send you a new hose under warranty?
    If not, why not? What does original seller/dealer say? Can you screw on a new hose yourself if he sends you one for free? My point being, I shouldn't have bothered with this as I didn't have enough information so I apologize for that. When you accept the responsibility of being the general, you need to know that sometimes what may look like a good deal is not because of the hidden costs/lessons. Classic example for me is I lost a house shingle job the other day to a major chain reatailer because the general/homeowner did not take into or ask what that company was going to charge for delivery plus getting them to the roof. He only asked how much shingles were per square and than whined later that I should have told him what the delivery and roof top fee was so he could have compared. Dealers have to make money. Some of them run on short margins for parts, but labor rates are higher. Some charge cheaper labor rates but have a higher profit margin on plows for instance to make up the differance.

You still haven't answered a previous question as to, are they refusing to remedy the problem at no charge, couldn't really tell from the post?

I'm still way way back to the begining when YOU paid and drove out with something leaking. This is just beyond my comprehension that you or anyone would do this.

I'd have given you the part for free or run the thread chaser on both pieces just to get you out of the shop and smiling(what they should do) because one whine baby cry pot customer like you that goes out the door screaming mad instead of trying to calmly address the issue at hand does more damage to someones business by word of mouth than all the great advertising you can afford.

I hope you get fixed and going but for pity's sake, pull yourself together and quit crying because you tried to be cheap! MUD
  20. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

Gideon, i get what you did by buying from ESI but why didn't you do the install yourself? It's really easy.

Your Boss dealer was probably irritated that you didn't buy the plow from him so he is probably less likely to make sure everything is 100% right even though since he is a Boss dealer he should make sure everything is 100% right.

From what i've learned over the years, dealers will only do what they know, and not continue to become better, smarter, increase quality on repairs and installs, dealers get very complacent over the years. Don't get me wrong, there are dealers out there who take pride in their sweat and those are the guys to deal with.

I would call Boss lighting a storm up their ars....

Why wasn't the hose covered under warranty?