1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new inspection laws in mass.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by stiffs_00, Jan 8, 2010.

1. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

well i bought a new truck, a 2008 f-350 ( 10,100 lbs ), i had a 1997 f-350 (9,990 lbs ) so i have to get a sticker for it, it was $29.00 ....... now anything 10,000 lbs or more is $129.00 and you need 2 diff fire exstingishers, first aid kit , wheel blocks ect, ect, the cost of a package of these items is $149.99. for a pick-up truck ??? do you guys require the same ??? have i had my head in the sand .my 1st inspection sticker for this truck is going to cost me almost $300.00.........

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

that sucks man. in NY my buddy who does my inspections walks around it puts a sticker on it and I give him $10 lol. but thats mass for ya. I am sure NY will do it next.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Is it possible to have the GVWR derated?

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I dont believe it. Find another place to get it inspected and be done with it.

5. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

I bought my 06 F350 this summer. It is registered at 10100 like yours. The dealership did the first inspection for me, but I paid $129 for it and they took it to a dot truck inspection station. I believe the dealership has a "DOT kit" (including all the items you mentioned) to get the inspections done. I know it is going to be an issue for me though when my next sticker comes up in August. I may go back to the dealer and see if I can borrow that kit. Maybe that is an option for you?

6. mitchp

mitchp Member

A friend of mine told me that they want to make 2500/3500 trucks comply with DOT regs. I think its over 10000 GVW. Thats nation wide.

7. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I heard that too....That's why alot of peopel are getting the F-250's & 2500 series trucks because there under the 10,000 gross....That DOT bullshi! is rediculous on a p/u truck....Just another way for Mass to fuc@ the people who work & who aren't wellfare Obama babies :gunsfiring:

8. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

couldn't agree more!! They tax us from every angle. We need to get rid of Deval and Obama!

9. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Soon Mass will start having "Weight Permits" for p/u trucks like on dump trucks....I think it's $10 per thousand registered lbs....77,000 tri axle =$770 for a overweight permit

10. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I will be shocked if Deval stays. He is the worst thing that ever happened to this state.

11. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

ya same here. thats why we bought a new dump last season, cause the new laws , was going to cost us like 3-4 K to get it inspected so we went and bought a really nice used dump, but i was $129 , i found a place this year for $99 , but you still need all that crap. inspection papers are like 3 pages long, the guy at the garage was like underneath the truck for like 45 mins with flash lights checking everything, i was like come on man??

12. dcl25

dcl25 Member
    from ma

I was out sanding on new years eve and got stoped by dot in holbrook in my 1 ton. The cop wanted everything health card, chalks, firstaid and triangles. The one thing he did want and for some reason i didnt have was truck fuses.He gave me a written warning and sent me on my way after about 45 mins. No matter how much you spend to be legit its never enough they are nothing but a pita.

13. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I'm surprised he didn't put ya on scales :laughing:.....I drive a tri-axle dump & have been pulled over for more non-sense shi! then you could imagine, but I've never heard of not having fuses, I have been issued a warning for not having windshield washer fluid tank filled, If I had a gun I think I would of shot him :laughing: It was hotter tham hell that day & this DOT pig decides to check my F'N washer fluid reservoir....Only in Mass

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go to Walsmart and buy that stuff.

15. dcl25

dcl25 Member
    from ma

I was thinking the same thing about the scales only had about half ton left in the hopper. Checked the truck even know i was stopped in Braintree the begining of Dec. The dot put a sticker on the window saying i was checked. They must figure i dont check my truck and care about my investment. So that $129 spent for inspection is a waste. The little things add up quick.

16. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Probally too cold for him to muscle the scales around.....HaHa.....I dont have a problem with them doing there job to a point, because there sure are some shitboxes on the roads that shouldnt be, but I get pissed when they bust balls on the small stupid shi! like washer fluid & fuses

17. dcl25

dcl25 Member
    from ma

There are plenty of companys out there that skirt right by them. :realmad:

18. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Your not kiddin, especially the bigger ones....I've personally noticed that the DOT like to bust the small companys balls way more & again for the small nonsense shi!

19. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

do i need a health card too ? the dealer has a kit i can buy for $149.99 can you cut block for the chalks ?
    DCL25 , what items do you have and where did you purchase them ? why do you need a regular and chemical fire extingishers ? the guy at the dealership was telling me it have to be approved items ?

20. stiffs_00

stiffs_00 Member

all i needed was a pick-up truck with a plow, not a trailer truck, what kind of crap is this . do you need mud flaps too ?