1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New in Mass. Need advice on insurance.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by br500fc, Jan 1, 2013.

1. br500fc

br500fc Junior Member

Just bought a '93 Silverado w/a 7'6 Meyers plow kind of on an impulse.I have an 04 Ford van registered and insured commercial and am going to add the truck to the policy. Do I need special insurance to plow? I have a carpentry business and was going to use it for job sites and personal but now seeing more potential. We don't get a lot of snow on the South Shore but I can see calls coming now that people know. It's an old rig and I don't want to beat it up too bad but I definitely want to be on the up and up. I also have general liability for carpentry. Do I need liability for plowing?Special licensing?

2. willshome

willshome Junior Member
    from mass

From what I know you have to have commercial plates and tell your insurance about the plow. In your contract make sure to put you will fix lawn damage yourself. Slip and fall is different insurance and costs like a grand a year.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Id talk to your insurance agent

not some unknown who may or may not have the correct info

4. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

As far as for me in NY here all you need is a valid NYS drivers license. Most low ballers don't carry liability insurance, but I certainly do and suggest you do. Also, here all trucks are registered commercially and can be insured commercially, but that isn't a necessity here.

5. br500fc

br500fc Junior Member

I'm going to register the truck today.Have already mentioned the plow to my insurance agent.She recommended waiting till the first of the year so I wouldn't have to pay for 2012 reg for only 2 wks.as they expire 12/31.I have since read on this site about SR(snow removal)plates in MA that run Sept-Sept.This will be a learning exp all around.

6. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

Snow removal plates???

7. br500fc

br500fc Junior Member

Yes I thought I saw a thread from MA that mentioned that. My insurance agent had no info on that even though she looked it up. I'm sitting in the registry now but I'm not going to ask anybody as it's quite busy.I told my insurance about the plow. Nothing extra needed over my regular commercial insurance unless plowing municipally.

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting.
    http://www.eot.state.ma.us/downloads/chap196/rmvreport.pdf

Snow removal plates aren't required if you want to remove snow. They are available as a convenience for MHD plow contractors who, due to misaligned contract/plate renewal months, had to do twice as many registry transactions per year.

That's interesting that your regular commercial vehicle liability insurance covers plowing, I thought all policies required an additional cost for plowing commercially.

Edit: Here's a thread about MA snow removal plates:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=19408

9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Im looking at insurance in MA right now for starting my business, talked to a good family friend who is a insurance agent about all this. He said to carry general liability insurance. and make sure the agency knows about the plow.

Never heard of snow plow plates, where did you see this thread? I was just at the RMV and on the wall they had the different plates you could get, there was none for snowplow.

10. willshome

willshome Junior Member
    from mass