1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New in Alaska

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by de03x7, Nov 14, 2012.

1. de03x7

de03x7 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I just wanted to say thanks to all who spend their time giving advice here and give my story for being here. I found this site a couple months ago while looking around for information on plowing snow as a business. Plowing snow for income wasn't really something that I was looking for, it just kind of fell on me and I thought why not. We average around 50" here in the interior and usually need to plow 8-10 times a season. I have been plowing my driveway with a four wheeler then using a snow blower to clean up for the past 15 years. Last winter my 15 year old $500 Kmart special decided it had had enough.
    Break up was just around the corner so I figured I would look for another end of season closeout and my wife said to start looking. About 2 weeks later she says she decided I couldn't get a new snow blower because she had other plans. She was looking to spin me up but I didn't bite. I figured she would change her mind when the driveway started getting smaller because I couldn't get the snow back any farther. Then she drops the bomb that she decided I should get a skid steer instead.(Did I say I had the best wife ever?) I started watching the for sale sites and found a Bobcat 743 for 10 grand.
    We shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge pistol matches and wanted to build our own practice range so I ended up putting over 200 hours on it this past summer. The estimate to have someone build the bream for us was over 20 grand so she used the math I have tried to use on her and says that buying the machine will save us money. The same argument I used to buy reloading equipment. Now that hobby cost us twice as much but we do shoot four times more.
    Then a couple neighbors come over asking if I was interested in plowing snow for them this winter and others ask about having some dirt work done next summer. I checked with my insurance company and find out that it will not be a deal breaker so I have decided to jump into the shallow end. I have 4 places that I plow with a three inch trigger and a few others that will call when they want plowed. They do their own with wheelers or blowers but if it gets to be more than they want to deal with they will call.
    We have had a couple snow storms already and I have covered the insurance for the year even if it doesn’t snow again. I work a full time job so I let anyone who asks know that I will not be able to plow until the evening after I get off. I don't have to make money with this so if the time doesn’t work for them they can look for someone else. I figure that any money I make with this can be used to support my shooting habit. I already have a trip planned for next spring to go and shoot the area match in Utah so now I just need enough snow to pay for it.
  2. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

So....does your wife have a sister? :mechanic:
  3. de03x7

de03x7 Junior Member
    from Alaska

There is a sister. Twice divorced, a couple baby daddies two teeth. Want hooked up?:)
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Got a 3rd sister then?
  5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

In Alaska, you don't lose your wife, you just lose your turn.
  6. 1ATony

1ATony Junior Member

Welcome to the site:waving: