1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New idiot needs help with a plow....

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mjp2, Dec 30, 2009.

1. mjp2

mjp2 Junior Member

First off, hi. I'm new here, sent over from my friends over at The Diesel Place forum. I'm not new to plowing, plowed for someone about 5 yerars ago, but I am new to owning my own plow. It's the one in my signature, just took it off my dad's truck this fall and put it on mine. (he sold his truck). He bought the plow used, and always had this problem. What's happening is when I take the plow off the truck, I have to put a length of pipe from the middle of the blade up to one of the corners of the plow light bar, because it wants to fold itself up. That's how my dad remedied this, but after one time hooking up and coming within a short hair from having a pipe shaped hole in my radiator, I'm gonna fix this thing right. Now I figure it's something in the lift part of the hydraulics, just looking for some insight into this and where to start before I start throwing money at parts that aren't the problem. Thanks for any help.

2. been there done that !!!!

yes ,i understand as i do the same thing,,to me it all depends on the plow ,weather it needs to be on the ''foot'' or a skid ,or maybe jusy a piece of plywood,i don't have the luxory of concrete or ashphalt!!,My son and i use a long pry bar,carefull not to slip as is hard on hands,lol,we use ,boss,fisher,arctic,and all hook up differant ,did you notice how hard it is to hook up to a plow ,when yer pressed fer time.I/we like too try and hook up BEFORE the storm ,but i must admit I HAVE BEEN OUT in the thick of things ,[whirling winds ,snow sqalls ]trying to hook up. ALL IN THE GAME i guess!!!!!!

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

prop

you have a rt2 right ? you take it off in the vee position and put it on in the vee position and there should be a stand that you fold down to support it when you hook up .:salute:

4. mjp2

mjp2 Junior Member

Yes, it's on and off in the V position, but the stand only braces it from tipping back, correct? The problem I'm having is that the whole tower section, where the pump, and lights and mount are at won't stay down, that's why I have the pipe in there to keep it back because It takes a lot of umph to push it back.

5. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Photo please:nod:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Me lost too.

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

oops double posted somehow.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. derekbroerse

If I'm not mistaken, which I could well be, I *think* he is referring to the light tower flopping forwards in storage. Mine do that too, but I get help putting them on pre-winter (with a long bar and floorjack if necessary) and they stay on all season. I tried to fight it once with a trailer jack mounted as far forward as possible on the tower which worked but made the hitch sit higher on one side than the other--a problem in itself.

With the plow being gravity down there's nothing really to hold it up other than friction, which being 15 years old now I'm sure there might be a little tiny bit of wear starting LOL I've never found a good solution to this other than to have a helper when putting it on. Its generally a PITA. I suspect that is part of the reason the RT3 hookup was developed.

9. mjp2

mjp2 Junior Member

You're not mistaken....That's the problem I'm having. So I guess my current method will have to do...I'm sure there is some wear on it, but where would this particular wear be at? In the hydraulic assembly, maybe a valve or something? Or maybe the rams?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have or still have it's tension lever on it?

Unimount 007.jpg

11. derekbroerse

That part does not look familiar to me at all. I will check all mine out when I go outside.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not all of them had it Derek, thats why I asked.

And it's only purpose is to hold the lift tower in place when the plow is disconnected. It's nothing more than a friction slide mechanism. But if it's gone or was never there then they're pain to work with. Thus the reason Boss added them on eventually.

13. derekbroerse

I own FIVE of these plows, three 9'-2" and two 8'-2". I'm pretty sure I've never seen one of those before on any of them. That's why I'm gonna wait until daylight to check it out... some are sitting out back.

14. mjp2

mjp2 Junior Member

Yeah, mine does not have one of those......And looking at that setup as compared to mine, it doesn't look that part would fit right onto mine. They must have incorporated that into a design change or something. I understand how it would help though, and I think I'll have to get to fabricating a similar setup on what I got. That seems a lot less threatening to my grill and radiator than what I'm using now.......

15. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Pictures of your question help out alot.

16. zman300

zman300 Member

The tower is supposed to lower to the plow when the plow is removed from the truck.

Was that your concern?

17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking the same.

18. derekbroerse

Why would you want the tower to drop? Then someone has to hold it up to hook the plow back on the truck. Remember this is an RT2 not an RT3, it doesn't hook itself up! :p

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea no kidding. Nothing like making it tougher than it has to be.

20. derekbroerse

NONE of my plows have that friction slide on them, or provisions to have one even.