1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Ideas on Snow Removal for Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ttaylo, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ttaylo

ttaylo Junior Member

I am looking at new ways to effeciently remove snow/ice from sidewalks, other than with a walk-behind plow. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or comments; please let me know.

2. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

ATV with 48" plow and tow behind salter. Fast. Relatively agile. Can get jambed up if you let heavy snow build up. Relatively cheap $8k for a good sized unit with plow and spreader.

RTV with 5' plow and tailgate sander. Fast. Too wide for some sidewalks. Blade is light so it tends to float on heavy snow. You can carry a passenger for hand work. $16k decked out.

Compact tractor with 47" two stage blower and seed salt spreader on three point hitch. Very agile. Go through almost anything. You can mow in the summer and load salt, sand, mulch, loam with the bucket. $23k decked out.
  3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

The toro 3650 paddle blower followed by a walk behind sweeper will take care of heavier buildups if it's not too trampled by pedestrians.

You can also follow the Toro 3650 with a simple shovel. The 3650 beats the snow as it goes and loosens it for the shovel guy. This methos is fast and you can cover many feet per minute.

If the snow if heavier, you can have a John deere 1145 or 1445 with cab and blade... excellent up to 12". After that, depending on the snow(wet or dry or compacted) you may need larger sidewalk plows like the Bombardier or the Bobcat multi vehicle...

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Methinks you're low on the cost, at least if you get a decent plow for it. Get a Blizzard and you won't have a problem with floating over heavy snow.
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I reccomend a John Deere/Kubota/etc... outfront 4wd lawn tractor. Then put a hydraulic blade on the front and cab.

Full use all year around. The blade angles, etc... unlike an atv plow and it quiet and easy to drive.
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I run a Kubota BX2200. Today they are called BX 2300. I have a 50" dual stage PTO driven front mount snow blower on it. The Tractor cost me $12K with bucket. It think today they are around $14 of $15K w/ bucket. The blower was $1,700. It will handle 2' of deep, hard packed snow. Mind you not very fast. I have been passed by old ladies with walkers. Last year was the first time I had a "cab". It was free, not made for my tractor so it is only the windshield and top. I'm a big guy, so getting in and out was an issue. This year I might just go without it.

I plow over 5 miles of sidewalks and highway overpasses in 56 different locations throughout the City. I have modified the blower with supports so it doesn't twist, and some of the shear pins have been welded shut. I would rather replace them in a different area. The wear bar on the bottom is a 1/4" x 3" piece of steel I weld on each year.

I also have a Polaris quad with a V-blade on it for up to 8" of snow that I run most of the time.

I love the RTV, Tool Cat, Ranger, etc. Cost aside. My concern is that they are too wide for some sidewalks (around here anyway) and having a use for them in the off season.
  7. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Some of that stuff is too big for the Average width of a sidewalk. A Toro 4WD Groundsmaster with a V-Plow does a really nice job for long walks...A similar tractor with a 2 stage blower is also very good for shorter more technical stuff. I don't like straight blades on tractors, They cause problems, especially in heavy snow. And then their is also the smaller Skid Steers..Wich are very good ! 48" width would be the max I would put on a sidewalk. Alot of sidewalks are only 42"...