1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Idea for Residential

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by snoaway, Sep 11, 2007.

1. snoaway

snoaway Junior Member

This year we are purchasing a John Deere Gator 6x4. I was wondering if anyone has ever used something like this to plow residential? If so, what is your set up as far as options or accesories for the Gator. How much do you charge? We plan to hit a side of town where negihborhoods connect to one another therefore we can just drop the Gator at one spot and drive it from account to account. If you have any suggestions at all, please post.
    Thanks, Drew
  2. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

we have a gator at the fire house and it takes for every we all hate it. I wouldn't recommed it we have a 5' plow on the front. but it doesn't push heavy snow very well.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Kubota RTV that I use on sidewalks, there's also a guy from Fort Wayne that has a RTV and a Toolcat, so it would be possible. Not to sure of the specs on the Gator. Isn't it a belt drive?
  4. snoaway

snoaway Junior Member

Yes it is a belt drive. I use a 4x2 Gator now and havent plowed snow with it before. The Gator has a lot of torque so i figure it would be a good machine to use in the winter pushing snow. Thanks for the info....Drew
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I was looking into a Mule before the RTV, but stayed away because of the belt drive--slippage when wet\snow was my biggest concern. Maybe I overthought the problem, but it was something I didn't want to mess with.
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I don't see ANY added benefit from using a Gator to plow DW's. What not just by a truck with the $? You wont even have to "drop it off".......
  7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've noticed most gator's barely get out of their own way, much less trying to push snow.
    I don't see it as a useful option
    For the 10k a gator costs, you could buy a decent used plow truck with plow already on it.
  8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm another one who doesn't like the gators. A neighbor has a 6x4 trailgator that he thinks is amazing, I have found that it is ok for just driving around, thats about it. I've noticed that they do not turn very sharp and the front end wants to push a lot when turning. If your wanting some sort of a utv to plow with, look into the kubota rtvs with the diesel. Also there are several makers of those mini japanese pickups, that might be another possibility.