1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New hot rod plow rig

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowGodFather, Mar 9, 2003.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Don't have anything set up on it yet, but here is the new rig.

Waiting for bed/hoist/central hydraulics real soon, then by next fall a Blizzard 8611, and a 10' SS V-Box salt spreader.

'91 IHC 4700 Lo-Pro DT466 7spd A/C 25,550 gvw.

11'-12' stake bed dump.

new truck 2 resized.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Nice truck!:drinkup: You should be able to make some serious $$$$ once that unit is all decked out.

4. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Is that 4 wheel drive? or not needed.

??

Just wondering as I was looking at one to purchase similar to that only older.

It was 2 wheel drive and I was worried about it.

5. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

There's a compnay around here that has a rig exactly like that but red. They bought a red dump body for it and they put on a tailgate spreader and a Western 10' straight Plow. Man that thing is sweet. I think it acttually is a 2Wd anyway but with all that salt in the back it handles well I'd think. Peace

6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

No drive from the front axle. only the 4 rear wheels.

With 6-7 tons of salt, I don't think it will have a proplem.

We don't get 20" snowfalls, so it should do just fine with some good tractoin tires in back.

7. myo

myo Senior Member

Nice looking truck!!

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

They have some 2 stage hydro pumps out now, cost a little more. However allow you to operate two functions at once.

Geoff

9. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

tire chain are a big help on truck like that.....id look into them
    -nick

10. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

The company I sub for has one similar to that, it has a one way plow and a v box, and they havent had any problems. good luck :)

11. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

SGF, Nice rig! You can do a lot with that type of truck. Correct me if I'm wrong but that rig looks to be a class 6 or 7 truck. Depending on the weight of the V-box & cargo, you should be able to cut through some heavy amounts of snow. I normally run anywhere from 6,000 to 12,000 lbs of ballast weight on my class 7 trucks w/ 10 Western depending on snowfall. Chains should not be necessary. You should be able to "clean house" with that rig! Good luck. Jake.

12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  13. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I drive the same truck but reg not lopro with a 10' Viking plow and a 7 yard dump spreader body.I plow road for the local highway dept. and most of the time I have sand salt in it. But even when empty it has no problem with traction. I have push some deep snow and its keeps going.

14. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Not sure on the correct classes, but it's a true 2 ton.

Should have a payload cap. of about 12-14 thousand pounds.

Front axel 7,500

Rear axle 18,550

15. Pennies from Heaven

Pennies from Heaven Junior Member

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE ONE NICE RIG WHEN YOU ARE DONE! I HAVE A '91 INT. 4700 ROLL BACK THAT I MODIFIED FOR PLOWING AND SALTING. SINCE IT WAS A ROLL BACK, THE TURNING RADIUS IS UNBELIEVABLY TIGHT. I CAN TURN INSIDE OF MY F-350 SUPER CAB. THE ONE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH IT IS THE LOW PROFILE TIRES ON THE FRONT END. SINCE THE AXLE IS SO LOW TO THE GROUND, WHEN WE HAVE MORE THAN 4-5", THE AXLE STARTS TO PUSH THE SNOW IN FRONT OF IT. THIS IS COMPOUNDED BY THE PLOW FRAME WHICH MOUNTS ON THE UNDER SIDE OF THE AXLE. EVEN GOING UP OR DOWN A DRIVEWAY APRON FROM THE STREET WILL BOTTOM OUT THE FRAME. AFTER DRIVING WITH THE AXLE PUSHING SNOW, I CAN FEEL THE SNOW BUILD UP AND START TO SLOW ME DOWN. I WAS TOO BUSY THIS WINTER TO CHANGE THE TIRES OR MODIFY THE FRAME, BUT YOU CAN BE SURE I WILL CHANGE IT FOR NEXT YEAR! IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR FRONT TIRES ARE LOW PROFILE. I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE LOW PROFILE BUT THEY JUST ARE NOT PRACTICAL WHEN PUSHING SNOW. YOU CAN HAUL A LOT OF SALT ON THAT TRUCK TOO. I WENT FROM A PICK UP SIZED V-BOX TO A 10' LONG (HOLDS 8-9 TONS?) AND I CUT DOWN MY TRIPS TO THE SALT YARD TO ONE PER STORM, VING A LOT OF WASTED TIME DRIVING TO PICK UP SALT. hOPE YOU POST SOME PICS WHEN YOU ARE ALL RIGGED GOOD LUCK

16. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

snow god father

What are you going to use that truck for in the non-plowing season. I was just wondering what made you decide to put a stake body on such a short truck?
    Eric

17. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Pull a skid steer. Also the stake body will dump, so I can haul dirt, retaining wall builders, etc...

I can't go to long since there is only 10.5' of frame.

18. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Progress so far

4700 lp.jpg

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The truck looks good so far. Have you decided on a plow or spreader yet?

20. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Flink 6-7yrd

PLow is undesided still.