1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New hoses

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by seville009, Sep 23, 2015.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Have never had to replace a hose on my MVP 8.5'. Is about 8 years old. Was thinking about replacing them all just to be on the safe side. Just curious if anyone replaces them on a regular basis (like every five years).

I've replaced hoses on my tractor, but thise are exposed to extreme temps (really hot fluid when mowing), whereas the plow hoses don't
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Inspect every year, any cranking and the get replaced
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

the out side rubber coating is just a protective coating for the metal braiding. if the braiding is frayed ir heavily rusted.
    It might get replaced, but 90% of the time a hose doesn't get replaced until it fails.

I carry 2 spars, as even hoses that look good can fail before a suspect hose will.
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Western hoses are so easy to replace I would carry spares and wait for the brake to happen.
    I replaced all the hoses on my Blizzard 810 when 1 broke and I found out how hard or time consuming they are to do. I wouldn't want to do 1 while it was snowing.
  5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Carry spares, replace when they go. If you see one is cracked then replace before it blows and leave old one as backup
  6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The two shorter hoses going to the angle rams were cracking on the outside, so my plan is just to replace them all. They're all the same age. I do carry a spare hose, but luckily I've never had to use it. Much rather replace them now when it's sunny and warm. New ones should last another 7-8 years.

I had done a search on here regarding this and saw some comments abouts hoses rotting on the inside (much older than 8 years tho)
  7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

They are cheap replace them now then service plow all set for this winter
  8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

in 35 years of plowing i have only replaced one hose. 3 years ago after it got pinched while moving the plow with the gantry crane it probably would not have leaked, but it cut some of the braided metal jacket so it was replaced as preventive maintenance.
  9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Every three years I change them all. Remember your goal during the storm is snow removal, not truck repair.