1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Horst Welding Blade and the hoes

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bowtie_guy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Last week the guy I sub for received a new Horst 4000 series blade. 12' version.
    [​IMG]

Been modded already by adding the side plates. 2005 Cat
    [​IMG]

Horst 5000 series blade, 12'
    [​IMG]

Finally the newest hoe, 2008. The 5000 series blade is run on this unit.
    [​IMG]

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

My buddies 06, he has a 14' blade for it.
    [​IMG]

Finally a bad shot of the 06 in action from last year when I plowed with him. I now do industrial lots in an industrial park and work with the 08 Cat.

[​IMG]

3. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

nice hoes.. gotta like them horst blades too

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice blade and hoe. How come he didn't get the manual end plates?

5. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Looks strong. How does the trip edge work?

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When the cutting edge trips back it forces the trip bar up which in turn forces the springs up, really a quite simple design.

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Cool blade, what are the ring holes on top for?
    guess over time those springs will need to be replaced, seeing as they are not compression, with that style.

8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

The rings are for mounting end plates. You can get manual or hydraulic. I like the compression springs better myself. The horst plows are the best for a backhoe IMO.

9. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

I'm really not sure why he didn't get the manual wings. My buddy has a set somewhere for the 14' but never uses them. That is the only plow that has the end peices on it.
    Springs last a while but do eventually break, setup is pretty simple actually. the one thing I don't like about the 4000 is the angle cylinders, they have a long steel slug that goes from the barrell end to the center hinge. On the older plow they had broken at one point but the operator didn't help things. The 5000 series has full cylinders so less change of that slug peice letting go.

I'll try to get a shot of the loader next time too. It pushes like mad, craig blade. Had a big storm for christmas day and once we had some big piles my truck wasn't too effective so I went and picked it up. Pushes like mad. IT24G

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a nice blade. How heavy is that approx?

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

But it took a Genius to think of that! :)