1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Home Owner Has no Equipment

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dhp78, Sep 4, 2006.

1. dhp78

dhp78 Junior Member

I just purchased a house in upstate NY and I now have to think about how to maintain the grounds. The driveway is about 350 feet, lawn is 3 acres, and there is another 4 acres of woods.

What I plan to do:
    Lawn: Keep it mowed and do some landscaping.
    Driveway: Keep it clear of snow in winter
    Woods. Clear some, install fence, plant trees, cut trails.

I am trying to figure out the most economical way to do all this. I have a 2001 ford ranger 4x4 and thought maybe get a personal plow, and maybe a decent riding lawn mower. Then I thought maybe just a push behind snow blower and a push mower. Then I thought the ATV with blade and mowing deck might do the trick. Next I was looking at compact tractors with bucket, snow blower attachments, and a big assortment of attachments. Now I am thinking of infinite number of combinations of all of the above.

Anyone with similar circumstances find an economical solution that doesn't break the bank, yet allows me to still be the “man-of-the-house” and do the job myself?

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

one best choice

Compact tractor is your best solution, it will pay for itself with all that you mentioned. 3-point attatchments are the least expensive out there because they have been around forever. Consider looking at a Deere 4210, I think thats the number its been awhile since I looked it up but it is just the right size. Not so big that you need a farm, but large enough to do anything you want and will hold its resale value incase you eventually decide to service out all your chores.
  3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree, compact tractors are the way to go. You will never run out of uses. I have a 4310 Deere and love it!
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hire an LCO and a Snow Removel Service. to do the work for you.lol:waving:

You can stay in bed on those cold snowy mornings while someone does the work for you,

Hey! someone had to say it:D
  5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys
    Myself if I were to buy something I would buy a Lazer Z to do the lawn, buy a 7.5 ft plow for the truck and only have it hooked up when plowing, or as Snowfarmer said Hire a LCO to do both and stay in bed.

Regards Mike
  6. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

I bought 1 of each .. You can never have too many toys .. But the tractor is very handy .. I have a Kubota 4330 with a loader and a 72" snowblower. It works well but is time consuming. If I didn't have plow accounts to worry about it would be fine ..
  7. ZRT1000

ZRT1000 Member

PS. My driveway is a 1/2 mi long .. But if you look into the smaller tractors you can get them with a loader, belly mower and 3pt hitch (for the blower) all in 1. If you want a bigger tractor you can get a pull behind finish mower
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well a kubota BX or B series would be perfict. Cut the lawn, plow the drive, relandscape the house. Yet won't break your bank. :D