1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New home built rear plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by WRIGHTWAY, Dec 10, 2008.

1. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

I Just built it this fall and I have used it in 4 event so far the down presser sure is nice to have
    I spent $500.00 on it pump and all the blade was an old western 7-6 I had with rust holes in the top

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Nice back blade

3. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

So what does the red and blue on the stake mean for you? Red at this height.......

4. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Nice Work....looks like you bought it at a dealer. Hope it works great for you!

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Thats cool !! Looks like a side buisness if ever I saw one . Put together a kit because I,m sure most of us have or can pick up an unwanted blade . I,m guessing that center flag is color coded so you know how high it is?

6. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

No I’m having a hard time seeing how close I am when backing up to garage doors
    Its just a red and blue driveway marker that lays back with the plow up and I can just touch the door and be within 6” of it

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  7. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

love the pump mount that is an awesome idea so u can take it out im assuming

8. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

That is genius!

9. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Awesome job there....I like it, simple, looks plenty effective....and it doesn't take up a lot of room with the hydrualics...nice job.

10. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

The final result looks great. I figured it'd be good from the pics in your other thread, but now that it's finished it looks like a awesome unit. Nice job on the fab work.

11. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Yes for removal I have a 2nd battery right in front of the pump box
    With a winch style battery disconnect so I can remove plow pump and battery in about 5min:nod:

12. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

looks nice. One small thing is it doesn't appear to have a trip? I know we all "know" our routes inside and out, but watch out for manhole covers or whatever. I think if you hit something you're going to rip something off the truck.

13. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Hey thanks for all the kind words guys
    It’s far from genius but I’m happy with the way it turned out :D

My current sites are pretty clear of snag hazards but still got to be careful
    My plan is to convert to a spring loaded hinged cutting edge in the off season

14. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

HEY!!! Were you looking over my shoulder when I built mine??

Mine was an old seven foot Meyer moldboard, or maybe "moldy board", and I tapped into the belt drive pump of my front blade of the hydraulics. I didn't paint it , makes yours look much nicer. This is the third year I have used it, and I am pretty happy with it. It could lift higher, and the front plow should be wider to clear a path for it when plowing straight ahead, The corner of it rides in the bank a little and cuffs some snow back into the road. I don't feel any need for a trip on it because I only use it for cleaning around buildings and such, so I am not moving very fast when it is down.

Watch out for the garage doors. My insurance company bought three new panels of a door for one of my customers last year. Those new high tech insulated doors crumple up just like a beer can. I just barely touched it and it wrinkled. It happened because I was backing up at an angle to the door. The right hand corner of the plow hit while I still had a foot of clearance on the easily seen left side.

The truck doesn't look nearly as ratty now. I replaced the bed with one from a 1970 something Dodge. Now we don't know if it is a "Fodge" or a "Dord", or maybe a "Fordge".

Backplow.jpg

F150.jpg

Door#1.jpg

15. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Great minds think alike I guess
    If you move the top of you ram toured the truck you will get more up/down movement
    That’s what I had to do to mine it needed more down

16. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Screw plowing .. you can stay in a nice warm fab shop and built and sell your design !

17. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Good job on the rear plow. Any pictures of the pump? How are you going to make it trip? You have any ideas?

18. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Good heads up on this. New to a rear plow and thats something I will def. keep in mind!

EDIT: Forgot to say how nice your plow came out. Very nice job. I would have bought one of yours.

19. BigLebowski

BigLebowski Junior Member

Tell me about that bed light set up. Did you make that or is it something to buy? I am about to buy some white nights but this is cool too.

20. TLB

TLB Senior Member

just guessing, they look like OEM fog lights, maybe Grand Am or Cavalier mounted to angle iron?

Nice back blades guy's!