1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Holland Skid owners beware!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 4x4Farmer, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Just wanted to give a heads up to the new holland skid owners on here. We have a L-185 and 2 nights ago while pushing we had a major electrical meltdown. There is a 90 degree elbow that comes out of the muffler and goes to the stack on the back of the machine. That elbow broke off the muffler and fell down into the engine compartment. The elbow then cut into the battery cable that runs to the back of the machine to the jump start post. It then proceeded to fry a lot of things. It melted a whole right through were the jump start post comes through the back, melted the backup alarm into a puddle of plastic, melted the dip stick tube for the oil, started to melt the neck for the fill on the fuel tank, fried the battery, melted the battery cable going to the post. At first I thought it was just our luck, until we called the dealer in the morning and they said they have seen this happen before. So the morel of my story is check to make sure that elbow on your exhaust is tight and not broken.
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

thanks i will check mine in the am
    sorry for your bad luck are they gonna eat the bill
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Should have bought a Bobcat.
  4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

cheap shot!:D
  5. loaderplower93

loaderplower93 Member

Kramer's right...but so is snocrete!
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I love my new Hollands
  7. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

What else did you expect from a stripped down Case?! :jester:
  8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Fixed it for ya. :drinkup:
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

We have a NH on the farm and this doesn't surprise me.
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

12. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I didnt say I dont like our new hollands, its just something to watch out for.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Same thing happened to me !! This machine raddles so bad that the muffler broke off and landed on the jump start lug.. a year ago the oil cooler failed due to the rough vibrations

And no luck with any help from the dealer or new holland.

this is the LAST hewholland POS i will own..
  14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Just curious who is your closest NH dealer or who you go to?
  15. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

We use a fleet of 190 to 170 and NH is some of the cheapest skidloaders you can buy. Electrical problems,basics like fuel filters geling up because its secured away from the engine block. I spend atleast 20 secs everytime I get back in bouncing on the seat/smacking the seatbelt around before it works. I've run enough skidloaders in my life to make a judgement on these. New NH skidloaders(even the compact tractors) are crap, bought because there alittle bit cheaper then the rest.