1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new holland lx565 questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maelawncare, Dec 26, 2010.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

This is the only New Holland for sale anywhere near me right now. I really want a new holland for the vertical boom, and i hear they are a lot more comfortable. But to be honest i know nothing about them. All i have ever used is bobcat and a john deere skid.

It is a rather old one but i do not know the year. The pictures on it look great but it has 5900hrs! And well, that just scares the crap out of me. He said he has done a ton of stuff to it but cant remember it all. He is also asking $8k for it, which i think it a little high.

What are the pros and cons of this machine other than the super high hours.

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If it was well taken care of its going to be a good machine. I bought a LX665 last year and it seems the hour meter stopped working at 1876hrs. Its been to the dealer a few times for basic things and they said it was a good tight machine. Look for leaks, sloppy pins and bushings in the lift arm and bucket. Mine is 1 size bigger (there's not much difference) and it can push a 8ft skid steer plow with wings for quite awhile before it either runs out of power or traction. As far as high hours....if its a earlier model like a mid 90's then 5900hrs isn't that bad, at least it was getting used and not just sitting there. The SuperBoom is awesome, the machine is very stable and your machine can lift about 1400-1500lbs. Things I've done to mine.....new tires@ 850.00 installed, new glow plugs and a repair to the auxiliary hydro lever, new starter, heater and closed off the cab, replaced a few seals under the seat for the tranny, a new seat belt and a compete service. Just keep it greased and check the fluids and it should last for a long time. BTW I paid 9500.00 and so far put another 3k into her, but she runs like new and is nice and warm inside!

3. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I also have a LX665 that I bought used in 2001 and we have put well over 3000 hours on it and it has just now started to smoke at start up. We have not taken the best care of it over it's life but it has been the best machine that i have ever owned and is real work horse for us. We have had a few minor repairs on the exhaust near the turbo, other than that tires and service is all we have spent on it. This spring it will go in for 2K worth of new pins and bushing. I would buy it but not for 8k closer to 6K is what i would expect to pay.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Replacing pins and bushings are killer right! This spring I might get the cylinder's rebuilt, one has a slight leak and a good "go through" from the dealer. Once in a great while when the bucket is full, it will drift down. Thats one thing thats going to get looked at for sure. As far as 8k IDK, if the guy just put 3k into it its worth it IMO.

5. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

We had one of the cylinders break a few years ago, scared the crap out for me when it popped, But the other cylinder held the load until i could lower it down. The bushing will have to be cut out and then new ones welded in. There are 2-3 fitting that haven't had grease in years. I believe that they have a special line boring machine or something they said that they used to get them just right. I plan on rebuilding the engine when it finaly goes in the next few years. I personally over see all the maintenance now on all my machines, and we don't have near the problems now. The seat belt has screwed up a few times, but I love this machine and will keep it forever, it is a beast in the snow, if it has good tires.

6. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

The pins and bushings on the LX series go bad in a hurry if you over-grease them. It's a known issue with that model of the New Holland. I've always been a Case guy, but I have 2 New Hollands that have treated me very well a '98 LX665 and just bought a '10 C185 this year. Look for cracks in the welds and also check the rear hydro hoses on the boom for wear from rubbing inside the guide on the boom. Does it smoke a ton at first start-up? is there any whine from the engine area after you increase idle at warm-up?

7. maelawncare

Heres pictures of it. I just wanted something with a little less hours. Well a lot less hours. But i want a new holland, and there is nothing else within 200 miles.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

8. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Its not a $8000 machine for sure. I would go $6500 tops.

9. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I just noticed your in Missouri. How much are you wanting to spend? I can find you a unit in better shape than that for $8000

10. maelawncare

$10-12k in decent shape. Hopefully with good tires, but thats not biggie. I can get a set for $300.

11. purpleranger519

from Kansas

12. maelawncare

13. purpleranger519

from Kansas

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/2124732689.html

I looked at this loader last week and if we would have had some snow by now I would own it today. Its very clean and a nice size loader. The LX885 is a larger loader IMO too big, I was basically using it as a example of a clean loader priced fairly right. KC Bobcat would come down on that price though if you did want a loader that size. They are trying to unload their used stuff before the new year.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  14. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

Thats a biggg machine, has loads of power! It looks pretty clean for the price too

15. maelawncare

Ya i saw that 7753. Just have never heard of one, lol.

And just how big is the lx885? The most i can haul on my trailer is 8,000lbs

16. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Horsepower wise the 885 is 60hp which is not a beast at all, but dimension wise the 885 is about twice the size of the 565. Its not a 8K pound loader but its about 7K pounds I believe. If your trailer is only a 8k trailer I would wonder if the 885 might be too wide though. The 885 is 7004lbs dry.

17. maelawncare

Yes my current dump trailer is not very wide. i would have to measure beforehand. I do plan on getting a new one in the future though.

18. purpleranger519

from Kansas

7004lbs dry weight on the 885.

19. maelawncare

So are there any new hollands to stay away from in general?

20. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I really dont like the new models. Seems like when they started the switch to the straight L100's models they got real light duty and took on electrical problems. I grew up with the older NHs skids and thought they really took some major steps backwards the last years.