1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Holland L185

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by plowfever, Nov 2, 2011.

1. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Hey guys I am looking at purchasing a L185. It is a 2009 with around 1400-1500 hours, 2 speed and cab with heat. I was not planning on doing snow this winter but I picked up a couple accounts and they begged me to do there lots this winter. I have all my accounts back from last season as well so I will be grossing between $15-20K. I sold all my equipment over the summer and all I have for a truck is a Nissan Titan so I am not going to put a plow on it just a spreader probably. They are wanting $23,500 it has new tires and is fully serviced. I am going to get a pusher for it as well. This is the only machine other than new in my area and I do not want to buy something from someone an hour away and have to deal with that issue. My questions are:

1. Are these good units?

2. How big of pusher would you put with this? My accounts are two apartment complex and a big open factory. Plus some others that I am going to sub to my uncle that has a truck.

Thanks guys most everyone around me runs Deere or Cat but Cat dealer is over an hour away and Deere does not have anything used at this time.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

My 185's and 190's run 9 &10 foot pushers...hopefully 11 foot this year.
    Steve

3. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Do you like your skid steers? I ran a new holland about 8 or 9 years ago and the hydros were so loud that I wrote them off. I asked the dealer about this the other day and he said those were on the LS series and that this units hydros dont have near the noise. Any problems I should look out for when looking at this unit. I called him today as they had just gotten it in last week when I went and looked at it and he said they were replacing the bushings in the quick coupler but had it all cleaned up. Are they comfortable to run for long periods of time? This is what I am going to run so I want to make sure I get soomething comfortable.

4. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I have run NH since I was 14 and I am now 26. Last Saturday I just brought home a 05 180B. I have always been pleased with my New Hollands dating back to the Lx885s. I feel they are comfortable. I would put no less than a 10' pusher on that machine, I think its 70+ HP. Hours are high for an 09 but what can you do. Price seems fair, your not stealing it and I see them listed for much higher by idiots

My 180 only has 63 HP and its getting a 10' avalanche, it does have foam filled tires which adds 600 lbs and has the weight kit so I should have enough weight for bite.

Others may disagree, but NH usually always has sloppy pins and bushings and the boom and bucket seem to have more play than any other machines out there, especially since it has higher hours on it. Also if its a hydraulic coupler, check it out good, they sometimes go bad

Goodluck

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  5. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Machine has around 1400 hours has the weight kit on the rear. They are replacing all the bushings on the hydraulic coupler. I know that is one thing I hear a lot is the booms aren't built as good as everyone else's machines. I'm going to go look at it again once they get the coupler fixed to check it out closer. The other day they had it in cleaning it all up and were starting to tear apart the coupler then. I do know that it will have new tires and will be fully seviced.

6. xtreem3d

I like all of my machines. I did drive a buddies LS 180 that was loud but it was something to do with that particular machine and the way the hydros mounted to the frame or it used a centrifical something(?)..sorry i just can't remember. That L series should be a very nice unit. The booms do tend to rattle a bit when wore and transporting up in the air but it never bothered me. Do you have the light package with flashers and turn signals? outlet for the rotating beacon just under top of cab but above the glass?. The New Holland rotating beacon is fantastic IMO. Don't assume that other rotators you see at auto part store are the same. These are bright for single rotating beacons..about 126.00
    Does it have qiuck attach?
    Steve

7. MatthewG

Now that you mention the beacon, I assume that only a new holland plug will go in the socket? It is a weird size plug. Im going to the dealer Saturday so I will look for the light

8. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

I have a NH LS 180 and it's been a great machine.It's loud but extremely reliable The price for the 185 sounds way too high. I know you said you wanted a local machine but for $5,500 I'll do some driving or arrange shipping.

Matthew G, my machine was wired for the beacon I gently pulled the wires out of the plug and inserted them into a 12v plug I got from napa. Now I can run my led light with the beacon switch.

9. xtreem3d

Matthew your right it is a weird size and i was going to do what 4wyd did but after seeing the beacon on another machine i decided to spend the money and use the NH beacon.
    Steve

10. xtreem3d

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  11. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Yes 25,900 is there asking price. I aways try to get 15% off what they are asking. I am going to offer probably somewhere around 22,500 for it. I can go up from there. I am going to try and get the loader and pusher for less than 25,000

12. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

Around here there have been a lot of problems with the newest l100 series. Which is now discontinued. From hydro, to drives and so on. But mostly the engines. Where I used to work we did 3 the first year they were out. All under 1000, hours, one only had 25. They have still been problematic and people around here are dumping them. But there are always good ones in the bunch. We run 5 new hollands on our farm.

13. MatthewG

14. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

That price seems way high. I paid $18,000 in 2007 for my ls180 with 850 or so hours.

Mdwstsnow got a 262b cat last week same hours for similar price, cab, heat ac.

Keep looking there are deals to be had.

15. mlars

mlars Member

We run an L180, an L185 and a JD 8875 (built by NH) for snow, and also have a C190 (track macine) for summer work. They are great machines. The L's are much quieter than the previous models. The long wheelbase makes for a smoother ride and less tippy with a snow bucket at full height. I haven't looked at used machines in a while but the price seems in line, less is always better though Thumbs Up

16. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I went and looked at the machine again yesterday afternoon. They had replaced the face plate and had it somewhat cleaned up. I drove it around the lot and it seemed very tight and the booms didn't have any play what so ever in them. The hydros were quiet and smooth. I have found a Case 445 also that I am going to look at this week. It has about 300 less hours plus has a/c. From the pics it looks like a cleaner machine also. I believe it is the same size machine as the New Holland. The are asking $23,500 for it but the tires are only at 20% he said so those will need replaced right away. What do you guys think? I actually like the looks of the Case better and I think there controls would be more comfortable to run for long periods of time. The a/c would be nice for when I use it in the summer also. The only thing I don't really like is the dealer is 45 minutes to an hour away but I do have a Case dealer in town.

17. MatthewG

Case 450 is more inline with the NH 185. I drove a 450 2 months ago with 700 hours, I really liked it, but didn't like the poor rear visibility.

18. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I believe the difference between the 445 and 450 is the 445 is a vertical lift machine and the 450 is a radial lift. I could be wrong but I thought they were the same just different in that way.

19. exclusive

exclusive Member

i have a L185 with just under 300 hrs on it i brought it in dec 08 new with cab heat/ac all hand controls and a 2 speed i was treading the waters to see what i can get for it make me a offer im in nj

20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I'm in ny hVe me a cal to talk about skid 845-222-2983 John