1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captntim, Dec 11, 2002.

1. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

Great site here with a wealth of information for me with limited plowing experience. I just bought a '94 F150 4x4 with a 7.5' Fisher hydraulic plow. The truck is in excellent condition and has been modified for plowing with heavy service front springs. It seems to go down the road with no problems or drivability issues with the plow on the front. Any tips on plowing or information about the plow anyone can give me would be greately appreciated. I have heard half tons are not strong enough for plowing, but I have run half ton Fords through the toughest conditions with no problems (I also realize this subject has been beaten to death). Has anyone has any frame failures on a half ton as a result of (normal) plowing? I know the front end is a weak link, but the heavy springs should help considerably. I am up here in Maine where they hang a plow on just about anything (from yotas to bronco IIs to jeeps) so I think my truck will be fine.
  2. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

For your own driveway, you shouldn't have a problem. You might run into problems if you plow several accounts. I know many people that have used that same truck to plow with but it was for their own drive. Go easy on it.
  3. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I always use half tons never had a problem yet and we get approx 120 inches a year. with alot of wet stuff to. These trucks are put to the test mind you i get rid of them after 2 years i'm not sure what happens to them after that. probly in a local junk yard.
    Just remember your truck isn't a loader so don't be pushing snow thats a foot and half deep or trying to push back banks. i see guys around here who you would think they are driving loaders hitting snowbanks trying to push them back for more room you can almost see the truck bending in half. just remember to plow with the storm it's the easiest on any truck your driving.
  4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

We have a late 1980's F-150 at work and it has been beat to death from the time it was bought new. It started life as a city owned truck plowing alleys and stuff too small for the large trucks. We got it after it was retired and use it to plow a 2 acre lot. Its been well abused.:D
    Front end is still pretty tight, ball joints still appear good. The body is pretty well wasted but the heat still works good.
    You should have good luck with your truck,
    Mark K
  5. Woodman

Woodman PlowSite.com Veteran

You didn't mention the tranny type - that'd be more of a concern especially if plowing commercially. For auto transmission a cooler is a must. Also full stops when shifting from D to R. Knee brace for left knee if manual trans (just kidding).

As for making it easier on the truck while plowing: Think ahead where you want to push/stack the snow. Mark the driveway(s) - even if its your own. Get a bit of momentum before dropping the blade to plow. Put as much ballast in the back as the weight of the plow. Stuff breaks so have some spares in truck. As said earlier - plow with the storm.

Enjoyed clearing 8" of wet snow this morning. 4th time I've plowed since mid-Nov. Hope you have fun plowing too.

6. captntim

captntim Member
    from Maine

thanks to everyone for the replies, I tried it out this morning in 4" and was great. I'll keep those tips in mind. My truck has an E4OD auto tranny. As soon as I get a chance i'll be installing an auxillary cooler.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Welcome to the site. :drinkup: :drinkup:
  8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have a 99 F-150 and a 97 F-250 LD.never had a problem with them.was worried about the 250 but ive used it twice real hard and worked just as good as my 350 same with the 150.just don`t try to push snow you piled up a week ago it won`t go anywhere.but they stack snow fine.you will need to work the blade a bit more when you start pushing 12+ at a time.if you feel that the truck starts slowing down while pushing just stop back up and take on half the pile u were pushing.keep the blade at an angle while pushing 12+.the only time u should have the blade straight is when your stacking cleaning up some run off from your last pass or back plowing.good luck check over your truck before and after plowing.