1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New here with questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Altiery54, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Altiery54

Altiery54 Junior Member

Hi all I am new here!

I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 pickup and I am looking to purchase a plow for it. My father owns a company and I have been plowing with him for about 5 years(I am only 19;)) In the past though I have just used the bobcat.. However, now more so then ever many people are looking for trucks to hire. That fact combined with the fact I can plow with my father whenever whenever I like convinced me it's time to get a plow for the dodge.

I am ignorant when it comes to the fact of what is needed.

I found this on craigslist and was wondered what you all thought of it.....

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/1371446027.html

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!ussmileyflag

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

So you been plowing with dad for 5 years and you dont know anything about plowing? Don't he have plows?

Welcome to the Site BTW!

There is a Button Center of the page in the gray bar that says " Search" it's bold black letters... had a small white upside down tringle to the right of it....

Please spend the next 5,400 Sec using this tool.... If all else fails please come back post that it didnt help and were be more then happy to help you out.

Thanks you for calling plowsite.com Have a nice day!!

3. Altiery54

Altiery54 Junior Member

Yes, I know about plows however the equipment he uses compared to what I will be working with is a concern. I would assume the wiring, mounts, and the plow its self. However, after that is where it gets gray.

I will go search

So,
    1) Add Timbrens to front suspension
    2) Add a second battery
    3) Get a trans cooler

4. standenc

standenc Junior Member

hi

i started out with a 96 1500 dodge with a western uni mount it was a great truck for me at the time. i had heavier springs put in the front and a 2nd battery. plowed snow for 5 years no problems

5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

first of all, stay away from that plow. its way overpriced and its not even the newer 4spring style unimount. keep an eye out, ive seen lots of stuff on craigslist in the chicagoland area just keep your eyes open. just buy a plow if you find a nice deal and you can pick up the wiring and mount separately. and as you said before, you definately will need a trans cooler and trans temp gauage as well as the second battery being a big help but i woulldnt worry too much about the timbrens with a 7.5 plow.

6. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

did a little lookin and heres a real nice unimount with the newer 4 spring setup like i was saying. it looks like you might be able to get this thing for a real good price and just get a mount and wiring.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/West...ies?hash=item3ef87e502e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

but if you got the cash to spend, this looks like a money setup. he has the mount you need and comes with wiring and controller. doesnt seem like its too far from you and is in pretty good shape. id offer him like 2500 and go from there. good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WEST...ies?hash=item5d23fd3b6d&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Read the different plow brand forums and even the truck brand forums to get ALOT of the info you are looking for.