1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New here too......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by willtill, Sep 25, 2002.

1. willtill

willtill Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I've become interested in plowing snow (and hopefully turning a profit) after all of the equipment I'm getting ready to invest in. I already have a 2002 Ford F350 Diesel and will be having a Western 7.5' standard plow installed next week. I'm in central Maryland, and although we typically have mild winters, you never know when a big one will hit (such as the blizzard of '96).

So, just wanted to say that I've read almost all of the threads on this site, and have learned alot already about moving snow. Looking forward to actually moving some for profit (I hope). Let's hope for lot's this winter :drinkup:

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

8-9ft plow for that truck. You will regret your decision if you get a 7.5ft. When angled the plow will not clear the tires.

I can't believe that a PLOW dealer would recommend a 7.5ft plow for a SD Ford
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Definately second CT18fireman's recommendation- I'd also recommend you consider a V-plow. If you're going to plow commercially, don't try to pinch pennies at this stage :nono: . You've got enough truck there to also consider a V-box for salting/sanding.
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll third that. Be sure to check the plow manufacturer's recommendation sheet. Some manufacturers have it listed on the internet like Fisher. Because your truck have a diesel engine, you would have limited carrying capacity for snowplow. I am sure that 8' plow will fit your but am not sure about 9'. So once again, you should check.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the plowsite! :waving:
  5. willtill

willtill Junior Member

Thanks for replies- more info....

Thanks for Welcome and replies..... :)

I have really investigated and pursued the ideal size of the new snowplow that I'm currently getting. I originally had started to go with the Meyer's 8.5' plow, however the dealer that I was going to purchase from said that he usually only installs 8.5' Meyer plows on F350 dualies. Said that it's too much weight in the front, due to the weight of the 7.3L engine. He further recommended that I go with the 7.5 or 8.0'. Since I'm new to field, I succumbed to his recommendation.

However, when I went to the Western snowplow web page, and used their "quick match" plow selection system, they ultimately recommended that I "beef up" the front end suspension for their 8.5' Pro Series plow. This is the summary of Western's "quick match":

2002, Ford, F-350 Super Duty Pick-up.

The vehicle has a 4x4 drive train, Reg Cab body style, 8 Styleside foot box, 7.3L Diesel engine type, 5200 minimum FGAWR, HB5 head lamp type, and no daytime running lights.

Vehicles with cab lights also require kit # 61185. Snowplow prep. package recommended. Air spring kit #63720 recommended on plows 8-1/2ft & larger.

My F350 came with the snow plow package, which is supposed to include "X-springs", and with it's 5200 lb FGAWR, it should handle the weight of the 8.5 snowplow assembly.

However, since I had a dealer tell me in person, and the Western website advise me me that the 8.5 was either too much for my truck without front suspension modifications, I decided to go with 7.5" blade length. Maybe I can go 8.0'..... it's not too late. Yet.

On another note, my boss has a 7.5' Meyer's and he also wishes that he went larger. However he told me that it's tough to turn the front wheels of the truck with the plow assembly/plow mounted, due to the increased weight. I know my Ford, and you can have a problem trying to turn the steering wheel if you have the brakes jammed on at the same time. Not enough vacuum. I can only imagine what that could be like with an additional 790 pounds hanging off the front of the truck. :rolleyes:

I am contemplating the idea of adding some type of "wing" on each side of the blade to give back the overall length of 8.5" though. I think that I've seen some "wings" out there that claim to add 20" when affixed to the blade.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Nothing less than 8'. If you wanna do it do it right dont cheat yourself of what will get the job done correctly. Like they say get the right tool for the job and buy one thats gonna last. Do it right from the start. You will always have that gnawing feeling when stearing a truck in 4wd with a heavy object AKA plow hanging from the front. That is just natural. Like i said id recommend no less than 8' (you got a big truck. They mount 7.5' on trucks as small as dakotas and the like as recommended by manufacturers not on F350 sd;s)

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe somebody who knows Fords better than I do has other advise, but I cannot imagine putting a 7.5' on a DRW. You'll be driving in the snow on any amount of turn, if not on the straight-away with it angled. I use a '96 Chevy 3500 DRW 6.5 diesel and have a 9' Fisher Minute Mount. Not sure how much it weighs, but it's Heavy Duty. Driving down the road with it angled, there is very little road clearance on the low side, but it hasn't scraped yet. I limit my speed to 45MPH, though.

Bottom line, I think you need to consult a couple of other dealers before purchasing anything. Put a set of load boosters (ie: Timbrens) on that truck and an 8.5 at least.
  8. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

I run an 8'2" Boss V-plow on my 99 F250 SD (PSD) extended cab, to beef up the front end, add a set of load boosters - i.e timbrien, monroe, etc. Yes the powerstroke does add a lot of weight to the front end, but the load boosters help even it out. I've had this plow on for 3 years now and just short of rotating tires and front end alignments have had no problems. Just make sure to add some type of ballast in the rear.

9. willtill

willtill Junior Member

OK, I think that the Timbrens are a good idea, and I definitely want the most efficient blade. Like I posted before, I'm visiting the dealer personally today to get this ironed out. My appointment to have the snowplow installed is next Wednesday. This should allow enough time to get the logistics changed on the dealers part for the different blade.

Thanks for your recommendations. Nothing speaks out more like experience.....

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2002
  10. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I have a 2001 F-250 4WD Powerstroke, snowplow prep package, Fisher 8.5' plow. No Problems at all, plows great. Put 800 lbs of sandbags in the bed as ballast ( per the Fisher manual ). Dont go with a 7.5, you'll regret it. I wish I had a 9'.