1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New here so don't beat on me to bad

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bigboyky, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Bigboyky

Bigboyky Junior Member

Not to sure where to put this....I just bought a used plow truck at a silent auction from where I work. It came with a Meyer spreader & plow. The plow works great. But let me get to the question... The spreader which looks like a Meyer mini jr. won't spin. The plate will not move. so I'm thinking motor is shot. I look up the part and see 270 for the motor. Is there an aftermarket place to buy these? Or should I try to have it rebuilt? Thanks. I'm off to check out the rest of the site.

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

unfortunatly thats sound about right. as for getting it rebuilt never heard of that before i know when one of my motors dies just pay for a new one i am on 3 sesons with my spreader and no issues yet. try to bang motor with hamer sometimes just need a little help to get started. as for the price welcome to the game this buisness is not cheap if you think it is than quit now and think of all the headaches you will avoid

3. Bigboyky

Bigboyky Junior Member

Not in it for a business. I plow my own drive and some of the neighbors drives, also do the county road out to the main road. There's shops around here that will rebuild one. I'd rather have new but not at that price.

4. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

If you take the motor (assuming its electric by the meyer site) to an hvac supply house they can get you a matching motor.you will need to set up an account. The one out here is Johnstone supply I think they deal with electric motors from everywhere for hvac stuff. indoor outdoor etc etc, they should be able to take the number and match you something.

5. I have taken spreader motors to the local industrial motor/alternator shop and had them redone. Sent one of my subs to them with his from a Buyers SUV spreader and he had it redone for like somewhere around $50.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Before you go and replace or rebuild it, try and break it free. Soak it in Fluid Film, or someother kind of spray can that will penetrate rust, and see if it will break loose. You will have to help it along to get it freed up, but this will be alot cheaper than either of the other two options. My guess is who ever owned it did not clean it out after each use, and keep it lubed up with Fluid Film to keep it from rusting.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would try to free up the motor and hsaft...bet they are both corroded

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Ebay- $85 search Buyers salt spreader motor. They r the same