1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New here, question for MA guys about unemployment/plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mike218342, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Mike218342

Mike218342 Junior Member

Hey guys,

Im not new to snow removal but in previous years I've pushed snow for companies that kept me busy year-round.

I started working for a large excavation company in April and should be busy until the snow starts. They do offer snow removal positions once we are laid off for the winter but veterans have priority so I'd like to run my own truck.

My two options in doing so are:

A) take over a driveway route for a friend that will keep me busy/profitable. All accounts pay by cash/check as soon as they are billed.
    B) put my truck on for the town. Keeps me busy, is definitely profitable but doesnt pay out until end of season.

Because of a few expenses my savings will not float me through the whole winter. If i take the driveway route, i can stay off unemployment and continue paying bills.

My big question is: if i put my truck on for the town and have no income until the end of season, can i collect unemployment through the season and pay income tax on all wages made without penalty.

Im sorry if any of this seems out of line, im just new to this situation and want to make sure i take cate of myself without breaking any laws

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

This is more a question for a accountant from your state. And if your working for the town with your own truck, why are you waiting to get paid? When I plowed for the town we were paid about every thirty days. But the paper work has to be in right away. Are you working directly for the town, or as a sub?

3. Mike218342

Mike218342 Junior Member

To be honest i'm going off word of mouth from others as far as payment from the town. This would be the first time i run my own truck so this is all new to me. Again, i apologize for the ignorance,. I agree, i should talk to my accountant

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Are you working for the town yourself or thru another party? What are the insurance requirements? What does it pay per hour? It sounds like you want to go on unemployment for the winter and work for some cash. If I mistook you my apologies.

5. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Mike were are you in ma.

6. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I would talk to the town first before you get too far ahead of yourself. There is no way they pay at the end of the season that's absurd.
    Also sometimes there are quite a few hoops to jump through before you can plow for them. Or you get wait listed or they don't call etc.

7. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Mike were are you in mass.