1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New here, my "car plow"

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by carplowguy, Jan 7, 2015.

1. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Greeting's I just joined and this is my first year plowing. I have been working on my plow project in my spare time for nearly 3 years and finally got it all done this fall.

My blade is made from an old propane tank I cut up. All the bracing, arms etc are old car parts and all the pins are made from old steering parts. I mounted it on my 2000 Dodge Neon which I modified the frame and suspension on to handle the stress of plowing. It is a stock 2.0 SOHC engine and 5speed which works well for plowing. I do have special traction rings I built for it that attach to the front wheels for added traction but unless we get a real heavy dump it does fine with just snow tires.

Currently I just plow for myself but I have a large farm site I have to maintain so I have put about 10hrs on the unit already this season.

Oh and I'm from Alberta Canada if you wondered.

Hopefully the picture I uploaded attached, if not check back later.

2. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

A pic of it in action...

3. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Not sure why it is upside down, was right side up.
  4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

are you from davids farm??? lol. j/k. seems like you built it right, but why mount on a car?? especially a neon that has about 2" or 5.08cm of clearance?
  5. 512high

512high Senior Member

wether i agree with this or not,i must say alot of people on this site are very talented and resourceful...great job!
  6. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

No need for metric, I use inches as well. You are probably thinking of the first gen Neon's, they were a lot lower & kinda crappy. These ones have more like 5-6" stock and then I lifted it another 2". It is very capable offroad in any case, with the traction rings on I can go thru about 1.5' of snow.

I used the car because I had it already, it was my daily driver till recently and I have always used it for a yard car because it is small and powerful. It works very well for plowing, it pushes a full blade at a dead idle and I rarely spin out.
  7. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I like it.
  8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Definitely wouldn't have been MY first vehicle of choice, but to each his own. I do have to give you a round of applause for making "something out of nothing," and if it works well for you and does what you ask of it, then good for you. Congrats.
  9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

All I have to say is, do you know why dodge named this the neon. Because when you get in you hit your knee on the dash and you hit your knee on the steering wheel.
  10. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Thanks for the positive comments. Probably wouldn't be my first pick if I was seeking a plow vehicle either but otherwise it would either be rusting in the field or I would sell it for zip so this puts it to use. Yeah I heard that joke before, funny stuff.

I guess if I'm honest I do love the jaw dropping looks I get well plowing. Plus all my friends told me it wouldn't work so I pretty much had to do it! LOL
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Need a video. Looks like it would be fun to mess around with.
  12. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

No SRT4, no care!

There was a guy up here who got on the news with his car plow. Pretty funny, but it works.
  13. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

SRt4's are awesome, I love Dodge for doing that! I don't think the turbo would be of much use for plowing however.

Yeah I noticed a few plow cars on youtube after I started this one. I put a lot of effort into making this one work proper and dare say it may just be the best plow car ever built, even though it isn't the first.

Yes I plan on doing a vid, normally I'm in such a rush on days I need to plow I just haven't had time to set it up.
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Pretty cool and doesn't appear to be hillbilly hack job.Thumbs Up
    A Tiger Stripe snow camo paint job would have been my choice:nod:
  15. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Thanks, I take a lot of pride in my fabrication work and used to work in auto restoration.

Snow camo would be cool, the camo was an advertising gimic for my carpet cleaning company, it used to have custom decals down the side the said, "What's hiding in your carpets?" And we got a lot of attention with it. It's pretty sunbaked now since it is just rattle cans so I will probably flat black the whole car in time.

This project is still on going, next is plow wings. I have lights to go inside my corner markers, an amber for the top of the marker and then spot lights go inside the frame. I will be adding some old van mirrors to the front fenders as soon as I have time to mount them. The rearward visibility is the only minor issue currently. I would like to have the car road legal with the blade next winter.
  16. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Does the blade trip? and how did you beef up the unibody? Or were the 'frame' modifications done on the sub-frame only?
  17. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

A few years ago I seen a Dodge Neon with a plow on it here in MN.
  18. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

The Neon already has boxed frame rails but the first 1.5' has relief cuts for the crumple zone. I just plated the outside of the frame rails for the first 1.5' and added some angle iron to another edge. This reinforced it back to where the subframe mounts. I also plated around where the bumper bolts to the frame rail and increased the size of those fastners. I then ran heavy wall box tube from the heavy plating on an angle down to the bottom edge of the bumper. That is 3 fastening points per side. The bumper itself is from a 1990 F350, it is about 3/16 thick, I welded it over the factory rebar, added a bunch of bracing as well. Where my winch mounts I put a piece of very thick 3" angle iron. The vertical pieces on the bumper are made from a Caravan rebar.

The blade does not trip, it is ridget. I built everything to take a hit and if I 'm in a rough area where there is a chance I could hang up I just keep my foot off the gas a plow at an idle, that equals about 5 kmph or around 3 mph so if I hit something it will stall and stop the car without damage.

However the cutting edge has a bit of a heel behind it so it cuts well but doesn 't dig into the ground. If you look close at the front of the cutting edge you will notice I welded 5 old pieces of chain to it. Those pieces of chain help guild it over foreign objects. Honestly it is almost never an issue, it never actual stops the car. I actually prefer it this way as it never trips on hard pack. I have plowed snow that I could walk on and it cuts right through it.

The blade does angle both ways as well as straight.
  19. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

Oh yeah and also very important, I pulled my air bag fuses, that would not be cool to deploy them.
  20. Something new! that's cool. I like.