1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New here looking for some input from NY

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SSCharged, Feb 14, 2015.

1. SSCharged

SSCharged Junior Member

Hello all, I have A 2012 Ram 1500 Sport, i know the tires and wheels on my truck are too big and wide for snow, trust me i know. But that will change i am going to buy a second set of wheels and tires just for winter time.

Well a little bit of history before people fell I have no idea what I am talking about. I am 25 years old, I have been around snow plowing my entire life, and started right away with my fathers trucks. I currently help out A cousin of mine who has a contract for a huge college campus a few towns over. I drive multiple trucks from small Chevy 1500's to A Chevy Kodiak.

Now question is, im torn between the Western HTS and Fisher HT for my 2012 Ram. My father lives and dies by his Fisher, that is all he has had on his trucks. He has a 2003 Ford F-350 and has a Fisher 7.5' HD.

Can anyone who has either plows please post pics of the front bumper and the mount and how much of the bumper they had to cut, and any imput between the 2 plows. I have been leaning towards the Fisher more just because i heard not sure how true but heard the Fisher mounts are all the same and me and my father if need be can hook up either plow and move it or anything. Please let me know, Thanks

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

there the same company i would with a sd or western midwieght at least you have the chain system

3. SSCharged

SSCharged Junior Member

Ive heard both of those are too heavy for the truck. True or not?

4. PLOWMAN45

they put them on jeeps i like western ultramount better myself

5. SSCharged

SSCharged Junior Member

Its really gunna come down to which is hidden better when plow is disconnected. You know what i mean? I understand you will see the mount but kinimal cutting and minimal appearance is wat i want. The brands are both great which i like.

6. PLOWMAN45

call Reds garage thats who did my plow on 3/4 ton visit there website

7. SSCharged

SSCharged Junior Member

Ok, i may be using Burquip in Bedford Hills NY to do the install, they do great work.

8. PLOWMAN45

they did one of my plow also they have a good website

9. SSCharged

SSCharged Junior Member

Yeah i will take a ride to burquip one day for a price quote

10. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

I have a western midweight on my 2005 ram 1500. I love it! Its not to heavy for the truck but it holds up to what I put it through. I plow driveways and parking lots. I have had it for 4 season and it has never let me down. It has the same hydraulics and design as heavier duty plows. I chose poly because that's what they recommended at 4qte. To answer your question I only had to notch the plastic air dam on bottom of bumper. You can hardly tell I have a plow when it's off. You can easily remove the "shoes" on the ultramount in the off season

11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I'm a western guy but if dad has Fischer go with them you can always swap out in an emgerency

12. SSCharged

SSCharged Junior Member

I just heard the western ultra mount has a way of taking off most of the mount on the front end? Its for summer use so you dont see the mount? True or not?

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

You can still tell your truck has a plow with either

14. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

Both are really good, made by the same company. You can remove the pockets on the ultramount which will give you more clearance when you're not using the plow in the off season. But if your old man has a Fisher id go with that just incase you ever need to swap plows for any reason

15. doublewide6

doublewide6 Junior Member

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab with a western midweight. I really like it. It is engineered quite well. The ultramount really makes it easy to pop on and off in less than 2 minutes and being able to remove the pockets in the off season is a plus. Mine is 3 years old and never had any problems.