1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New HD's &Toyota

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Feb 18, 2007.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

1st I watched the Daytona 500 and saw the new chevy commercial where the HD dully was pulling the train cars with the new 1/2 tons loaded on them. Made me laugh!!

2nd - I keep hearing that the new toyota in a 3/4 ton, then a 1/2 ton and better than the new Chevy blah blah blah - so you guys tell me! I don't get out alot to dealers to ask questions and the nearest Toyota dealer is 80 miles away. Then my ford friends say the new super duty is all that much better than the new HD Chevy.

3rd - I heard from my dodge dealer here in town (neighbor) that Gm is buying them out. I did here that on the news but dont think it will happen.
  2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

And your point is?:dizzy: I wouldn't know where to start....Were you drinking during the race.. lol

1) OK.. you found it funny.
    2) a)The front gvw on the Toyota is low, I forget exactly how much but I checked when I saw them at the Bike show.
    b) Ford guys say that all the time.Chevy guys say the same about Fords. That's old news.
    3) NEW YORK/DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) is in preliminary talks to buy Chrysler, the struggling U.S. arm of DaimlerChrysler AG (DCXGn.DE) (NYSE:DCX - news), or to strike a strategic alliance with the rival automaker, sources familiar with the situation said on Friday.

There was deep skepticism on Wall Street about whether such a merger made sense for GM and whether it could ever happen.
    An outright takeover of the Chrysler Group by GM would risk complicating the turnaround efforts of both companies, analysts said, even as it created an industry giant with a nearly 40 percent share of the U.S. market.
    The talks to buy Chrysler, described by a source familiar with the situation as exploratory, were first reported on Friday by the trade journal Automotive News.
    Automotive News, citing unnamed sources in Germany and the United States, said the companies were engaged in high-level talks about GM buying Chrysler Group -- which sells Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles -- in its entirety.
    One source told Reuters that GM was in preliminary talks to buy Chrysler, but added it was questionable whether GM would want Chrysler's finance business, having sold its own finance arm, GMAC, last year.
    A second source said talks were ongoing between the pair over a strategic car alliance but that source had no knowledge of any further talks.
    GM, the world's largest automaker, and DaimlerChrysler, the world's fifth-largest automaker by global sales, declined comment.
    Shares of DaimlerChrysler rose in reaction to reports of the talks. GM shares slipped at first, moved higher, then closed lower.
    DaimlerChrysler shares closed up 4.4 percent at $73.33 on the
    New York Stock Exchange. Shares in GM closed 10 cents lower at $36.34.
    Speculation surrounding a possible sale or spinoff of Chrysler has built since DaimlerChrysler Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche said earlier this week that all options were open for its struggling North American unit.
    Analysts questioned whether GM would benefit from an outright merger with Chrysler, since both automakers are struggling with excess production capacity, sliding sales and a heavy exposure to trucks and sport utility vehicles.
    Four months ago, GM broke off talks with Renault SA (RENA.PA) and Nissan Motor Co. (7201.T) after concluding that it would not have gained as much as the other two automakers from a proposed alliance.
    GM and DaimlerChrysler have an ongoing joint venture with BMW to develop a hybrid system that will be used in an upcoming version of the Dodge Durango SUV.
    David Feinman, a fund manager with Havens Advisors who specializes in distressed debt, said he doubted that GM would complete a deal to buy Chrysler.
    Feinman, who does not own GM debt, said both GM and Chrysler have too many overlapping models, and any merger would have to result in even deeper cuts to jobs and output.
    "If they do merge, there would have to be massive streamlining and there would be hundreds of thousands of more jobs lost," he said.
    Feinman added, "The only one to benefit would be Daimler because they would get rid of Chrysler."
    David Healy, an automotive analyst with Burnham Financial Group, was also skeptical.
    "My own feeling is that a full merger wouldn't make any sense," said Healy. "They're bitter competitors, they have the same costs, and they have a similar footprint in the U.S. and Canada.
    "That said," Healy continued, "I think there's room for cooperation on joint ventures where, for example, one company lacks a model or a diesel engine -- why do it twice rather than once as a joint venture?"
    Burnham owns GM shares. The firm does not have investment banking relationships with GM.
    Chrysler announced a restructuring plan this week that will cut 13,000 jobs, close an assembly plant in Delaware, and reduce production shifts at other facilities.
    The Detroit-based automaker merged with Daimler in 1998, but that combination of the Mercedes luxury brand with the mass-market Chrysler has failed to deliver on its growth targets.
    Chrysler, which lost over $1.4 billion in 2006 after running up a costly inventory of unsold vehicles, is aiming to return to profitability in 2008 on the strength of new models and a lower cost base.
    A GM spokesman said on Friday the company has ongoing discussions with other automakers.
    "We routinely have discussions with other automakers about projects of mutual interest. As a matter of course, we don't comment on those discussions," GM spokesman Tony Cervone said.
    DaimlerChrysler also declined comment. "We have said everything there is to say on this subject," a spokesman said.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

This is true. They are in talks as the Germans and American's could never find true common ground in business of these two companies.
  4. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Actually I loved the commercial with the HD out front - just laughable I guess. Is the new toyota considered 3/4 ton model?

I have 5 chevy's right now and one will get traded this year but if the toyota can't handle a plow - I will have to go with a new HD.
  5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

No, the new Tundra is a 1/2 ton model. Very nice truck, but still a 1/2 ton. They really should start making a Class 2 and a Class 3 truck sometime soon.
  6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

The train commercial has the disclaimer at the bottom, it is just meant for show. Although I wouldn't be surprised if a Dmax could move a heck of a lot on a train track, after all they are on wheels. But probably not a whole train. The Toyota ad says it is real, where they stop right before the edge of the canyon. I find that hard to believe. The see-saw ad looks cool, I'd like to try that.
  7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Toyota can handle a plow ... just not the weight of a v-plow. On the flip side when I pressured two local dealers and a district rep they claimed Western was making a plow for the truck and that's all they knew.
  8. Detroitdan

I've only seen the tiniest little toy plows on regular Tundras in the past. Looks stupid, a nearly full-size truck with a 12 inch high plow that would look small on a Tacoma.
  9. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Chevy, Ford, GMC, Dodge.....those are your real heavy duty truck options, IMO:nod:
  10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I searched the internet looking for axle ratings on the thing. In an attempt to see how much of a plow would fit. No luck at all.

Was able to find that the Tundra is the only truck that has LSD as standard (took a lot of brain power to figure that LSD SHOULD be on every pickup).

Even more interesting is the A-TRAC they advertise in the 4x4s. Not sure exactly how it works, but as it reads it looks like it can spin all four tires if need be. I.E. true 4x4.

So pretty much the Tundra is the only truck out there that can spin all 4 tires. Save for the Dodge Power Wagon and the air lockers.

If that is the case it would make one hell of a plow truck.
  11. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Remember the '70s when it was cool to say something like that?
  12. NoFearDeere

I wasnt even sitting in my s**t in the 70's....:D
  13. Detroitdan

I can spin four tires in 2wd. But if I put it in 4wd I can only spin five. ;>
  14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Oh I see. That explains why you have not grown out of that thinking yet. Give it time.
  15. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Always one to throw in the legal mumbo jumbo with the dualies. :)
  16. NoFearDeere

Well, lets see. The big 4 I mentioned make 3/4 ton, hell even 1 ton trucks. Toyota? NO. When a little Toyota can carry a Blizzard 810, Boss V, or a Fisher V, then we can discuss the issue.
  17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

About 10 years ago someone said the same about a Toyota towing 10,000 lbs. 30 years ago someone said imported cars will never compete in the US. Give it time.

If anything the competetion will make the big 3 stronger. Hopefully
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I think the big 3 may be a thing of the past. The times they are a changing.......

At 46yr old I do not have another 30 years to waite for toyota to get there act together.;)
  19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Well I hate to admit it but the fact that Toyota puts a LSD in the rear-end of a pickup as standard, is a good sign in regards to their act. Big three have not figured it out yet.

If that crap that Toyota has on the truck makes it a true 4x4...............about time.

And if a Toyota adds snow-prep package includes an outside temp gauge that works. I am sold. LOL
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  20. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I don't think snow plowing was tops on Toyota's list when they made the new Tundra, it was playing the 1/2 ton game that the big 3 (and much more recently Nissan) have been playing for years...that is bragging about horsepower, towing capacity and other big boy stuff. The Tundra is no threat to the 3/4 and up domestic trucks since the payload capacity isn't there...but those guys better sit up and pay serious attention. The Tundra is no longer a 7/8 scale 1/2 ton (or world's biggest 1/4 ton, either way)...its a full size and capacity 1/2 ton...you wouldn't buy a half ton over a 3/4 or 1 ton to haul gravel in the bed or to push a 9' V plow...don't think for a moment that Toyota is saying the same thing.

I expect that all the major plow manufaturers will be offering a light duty plow setup for the Tundra...probably for next season. I wouldn't expect to see an 8' or V plow on one anymore than on any other 1/2 ton truck...any big blade you see on one of those is not made for the truck and will drop the front end right down to the bumper when its lifted (I saw a half dozen last Thursday...a whole bunch of Z71's with 8' Fisher blades and and about a literal inch of front wheelwell clearance...no ballast no beacons).