1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Hampshire plow length restriction

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Nov 16, 2008.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

CHAPTER 266
    EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
    Height, Length and Width
    Section 266:13-a
    266:13-a Snowplows; Exception. – A truck used for snow plowing may be driven on the ways of this state with a plow not exceeding 108 inches in width.

Source. 2006, 317:10, eff. Aug. 18, 2006.

I was looking through the NH laws for a different post and found this. So does everyone in NH have 9' plows or less?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The answer is no. I would assume that if they have a larger plow than 9 feet, they would have to trailer the plow to the site and mount it to do the plowing. I have seen in the past where several states are very prickish about these laws. I have a large plow on the front of my dump truck and around here it doesn't seem to bother anyone. I mount it and leave it on the truck to go whereever I need it. So I guess it is only a problem it the police are low on the ticket quotas for the month

3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Ummm....You may be forgetting that a fully angled plow is considerably less wide than than actual stright width. I think even a 10' plow when fully angled might squeak by @ right around 108" from what I recall (that is 9' even).

4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Ummm....You may be forgetting that a fully angled plow is considerably less wide than than actual straight width. I think even a 10' plow when fully angled might squeak by @ right around 108" from what I recall (that is 9' even). In most states municipalities are exempt BTW.

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

lol

Ummmmmmmmm.....

I think the plow is the same width, no matter how far it's angled.

A 10 foot plow - even fully angled - is still 10 feet.

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Sorry for the double post, I thought my first post didn't go thru, so I did same post twice:jester:

What I mean is when you measure the vehicle width, plow included at a right angle to the vehicle, you are less than 108" w/ even a 10' straight blade, angled that is. Maybe there needs to be some clarification. Reading it as a straightforward law would mean a Western Wideout may be considered illegal. Don't know for certain, just my $.02.

7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

and if you put the plow on it's side you could say it's 10' tall!

a 10 foot plow is a 10 foot plow, no matter what angle it's at.

I can see what you mean in terms of the width of the vehicle though.

Is there more than one way to read a law? lol Should i read between the lines?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  8. lumps

lumps Senior Member

When I picked up my new dump the other day, the angle ram couplers were seized, so I had to drive it home with a 10' blade straight across. Pretty sure that would've gotten me pulled over in NH, lol.

9. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Yeah, he's referring to effective width, as opposed to actual width.

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

lol.. i know what he means.. and i know what you mean.

What i'm trying to say is that the width of a plow never changes...... ever.

If you want the width of a the plow relative it it's position on the truck.... then that's just that, a relative measurement based on the plow width and it's position relative the truck.

If you want to make up a name for that measurement that includes "width" that's fine.

11. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What about the New Hampsire Highway Department? They have plows wider than 9'.

12. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I dunno. I don't live in NH. I just saw that and was surprised. I guess as long as the plow doesn't extend beyond the fenders it's legal, nomatter how long or position.

266:12 Width. – The driving on ways of this state of any vehicle whose width including load exceeds the limitations of this section is hereby prohibited:
    I. A vehicle in excess of 102 inches in width.
    II. A passenger type vehicle that is carrying a load which extends over the sides of the vehicle beyond the line of the fenders on the left side or extends more than 6 inches beyond the line of the fenders on the right side of the vehicle.

266:13 Width Exceptions. – A vehicle transporting loose hay or fodder may be driven on the ways of this state when the overall width including load is greater than 102 inches, provided the excess over 102 inches is solely due to the loose hay or fodder.

266:13-a Snowplows; Exception. – A truck used for snow plowing may be driven on the ways of this state with a plow not exceeding 108 inches in width.

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

muni's are typically excempt from the width laws

14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

We are told that we are exempt

As far as our selectman are concerned (Jackson,NH) while we are plowing and pretty much any other time we are exempt. No med cards, No drug testing, No DOT/log books, No OSHA rules etc.
    My theory is we are exempt till something bad happens....
    Notice we do have our new safety vest on.lol

3-24-08 024.jpg

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

while i would agree that most ppl , including the judge , would inturpert this as 108 max, no matter what angle. but i would still use the dfense as the plow being angled is less "lane width" ..... and then i would contuine to ask.... if a plow stood on end is also a max of 108 ? if so what about it turned sidways? still 108? so becasue it says nothing about the plow being hooked up to your truck at all.... if i turned the plow sideways, and put it in the bed am i also illeag?

16. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

So you're saying that despite the fact that it's illegal to operate ANY vehicle wider than 102'', you interpret that the law allows for snow plow that are 108' fully angled on the truck'??????????

17. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

The judge would say what?

The law says "A truck used for snow plowing".

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well most ppl incluing the jude would say a plow at 108 with regaurdless of its "angle" is still 108

all im sating is that would be my defense..... that the 108 is relative to lane... and "unit of measure" in inches , should be parrellel to the witdh of the lane. if this is not the case, then any vehical with a plow geater than 108 , even if its stood on end or turned sideways ...is illeagl. since i dont think the judge would interperate it like that, i think it would be a fair defense , if you had a plow greater than 108 , but could be angled to less than 108 measuring parrellel to the lane width

19. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

How do you know what a judge would say?? You keep saying that......

20. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

So you are going to tell the judge that his interpretation of the law can't be right because if it was people could be ticketed for mounting their plow vertically?

I think if someone mounted their plow vertically on the front of their truck they would get that citation and a lot of others, and that car would be towed. (Lets' not even get into height limits :D)

besides... the law says, "A truck used for snow plowing may be driven on the ways of this state with a plow not exceeding 108 inches in width." A think a prerequisite to being labeled a plow truck is a plow on the front that is used for plowing.