1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 90Tbird, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 90Tbird

90Tbird Junior Member

This will be my first year plowing, I'm using a ford f 250,and 8 foot meyer, I just recently set everything up and pretty well winterized the vehicle. I'm looking to do most of my plowing the the commercial business sector, however this being my first year, i really have not got the whole pricing thing down. I understand that because its my first year i might not be the greatest plow guy, but im not going to undersell myself for my work. That being said, I was almost laughed at when I told some of my prices. I'm not sure if im overcharging or if im being screwed around with or if someone else is lowballing? Any tips for the new guy?
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

What are your prices and we will let you know.

To tell you the truth...everyone says that only you really know your true prices, and what you'll turn a profit off of.

But I think that's BS....cause when your bidding against other vendors, that can change. Plus there is a "market rate" that you need to consider in formulating your pricing scheme.
  3. 90Tbird

90Tbird Junior Member

so this is a real quote that I gave, and rejected. For an approximately 2000 sq/ft lot pretty straight forward, not too many obstacles. I said 85$ per snow fall under 6 inches. this prices does not include salt or sand.
  4. MileHigh

2000 Sq Ft?

Dude...I could shovel that with a 16" shovel in 10 minutes.
  5. wdcs1

wdcs1 Member

Them's Canadian $
  6. 90Tbird

90Tbird Junior Member

lol, my mistake its 5000 sq/ft, it happens.
  7. MileHigh

I could shovel that with a 16" shovel in 25 Min tops....18 If I leave some windrows. lol.

I can mow, edge, trim, and blow 5000sqft lawns in 12 minutes....SOLO.

I think you mean 50,000Sq Ft....Which sounds just a bit low for $85...But I see others in the same ballpark as you...Probably just lost a fair bid.

An Average plower can plow under 50k in about an hour...dependant on conditions.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. 90Tbird

90Tbird Junior Member

the guy told me he was previously charged $40 for the lot so I think hes trying to low ball me.
  9. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

You gotta still be missing a zero????
  10. 90Tbird

90Tbird Junior Member

yes I am missing a 0 I always forget to carry the 0 thats why my math is always wrong lol.
  11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

OMG, you sure you want to be plowing and quoting on your own ??

I would hate to have you quote someone only to forget to add a "0" and get burned.

The best advice I can give you is to partner up with someone who has been plowing for a while, see how they quote / plow and learn from that. By the sound of your questions this would probably make the most sence.

Best of luck to you ;)
  12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Yeah dude....you better get some better math skills before you start plowing.
    You go into a business and say "oopps I screwed up" and they won't talk to you again.