1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by turftamer, Oct 14, 2007.

1. turftamer

turftamer Junior Member

hello, what kind of insurance do i need for snow plowing ,im only going to be doing drivewayswesport :drinkup:

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

surely you have ins. for your lawn mowing and, any other buisness action is covered as long as secondary work does not exceed %10 of primary, but i would think gen. liab. and maybe work comp.

but regardless weather you have or don't have go talk to a INSURANCE MAN take what you are told here or any where with a grain of salt,(no pun intended) Unless somebody is a PROFESIONAL and willing to stand up for you in COURT,

Isurance is a evil necesaty, you have to have it regardless of what scale you are workin on

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It does not matter what or where you plow if you are for hire, plow for money, or plow anywhere that is not your property you will need commercial liability insurance. Make sure the words snow plowing, snow removal are listed in it or you are not covered.
    Call your agent tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  4. BladeScapes

BladeScapes Junior Member

This is my first season plowing. I got a 1,000,000 dollar general liability insurance policy. The monthly payments aren't bad, and It keeps your butt covered.

98 Ford F150 4x4
    Meyer ST 7'5''

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'll second SnoFarmer - you will need General Liability listing "snowplowing" as an activity. You also need to have snowplowing shown on your Commercial Vehicle insurance.

Of course, though, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

reread the preceding posts, take them to heart. Failing to do so could cost you everything you own!

7. turftamer

turftamer Junior Member

snow

do i have to register my f150 as a commercial truck

8. Mick

from Maine

Are you going to use it in a commercial activity - such as plowing snow for compensation? What does your state law say?

9. turftamer

turftamer Junior Member

just going to do some driveways this winter to make some cash,if it goes good ill go full bore on it next seasonwesport

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

residential drives, if you plow residential drives you need insurance.

Do not get caught up in terminology.

commercial work is ANY
    work that you do for money be it a residential drive, a Bank, a factory lot etc etc....
    Ps. you could even do it for free but if you do not own the property you will still need insurance.

I doesn't sound like you are listening to anything you are told!wesport

11. turftamer

turftamer Junior Member

I Was Talking About The Truck Does It Need Commercial Tags And Registation I Know About The Insurance Now

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

figure it out your self thenwesport wesport :dizzy:
    you need to spend money before you can earn beer money........

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  13. Mick

from Maine

14. turftamer

turftamer Junior Member

thanks i feel realy smart now:confused:

15. Mick

from Maine

Ok. You might mean that as a facetious remark, but figure that you ARE smarter than you were before you started this thread. I'm not sure what the "confused" smiley is about.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think he was trying to figure out Snofarmer's response, not yours Mick. Also he's wondering how worth while plowing a few driveway's will be after all of the expense's. The first couple of years are always the hardest and if you do things the right way you will be on your way to a profitable buisiness. Good Luck

17. turftamer

turftamer Junior Member

thanks for your help guys this is all new to me i can tame the turf now i got to see if i can push the snow ,sick of doing nothing in the winter old lady says i get fat and i drink to much in the winter, i really think its her way of telling me go make more $$$$$$$

18. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Turftamer, the guys are right. You need insurance for anything you do except for your own driveway. In addition, you may want to form a limited liability company or something similar for your snow removal business. That will make it even more difficult for the $$$ hungry slip & fall people to get you. Don't expect to make any money the first year as the expenses of starting up will be more than your gross income. If you stay in the business, eventually you will make money. Browse these forums and you will get lots of good info. Good luck.

19. midnightrodeo

midnightrodeo Junior Member

turftamer-- If I were you I would form a business for snow removal and get all the proper insurance. Because if you don't and you damage somebody else's property then you will have to pay for the damages. Also, see if you can sub for some companies in your area until you learn how everything is done, before you go out on your own. Good Luck!!