1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GMC HD, Nov 4, 2003.

1. GMC HD

GMC HD Junior Member
    from CT

ok i didn't find a newbie fourm so i'll try hear .just picked up a 2500 hd 01, i need a plow for some properties i own(3). just drive ways and walks. W/ the possiblity of expansion.from looking around here i guest 8' blade is the way to go ,think i like the boss. where are the ct guys getting there plows? can some also tell me how they price drive way it ct.? is a 8' blade to big for drive ways...?

thanks you input would be appreciated.........:cool:
  2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

8' is just about fine for your truck. Should be OK for driveways. The most important deciding factor on which plow to get, is what dealer is close to you, and are they open during storms. Something will break, even if it's new. We use a dealer that stays open all night during a storm.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

8' blade is the perfect size for most 3/4 and one ton SRW trucks for plowing driveways! Alot of members have 8' blade so this tell me that it is pretty popular blade size. I have a '02 Chevy 2500HD and just got a Fisher 8' HD blade installed.

By the way, welcome to Plowsite! :waving:
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

An 8 footer would be fine on that truck,and it's not to big for driveways.
  5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!

I agree with the gurus above. 8' Seems to be the best for the 3/4 trucks that do drives.
    You might also want to look into timbrens or adjusting your torsionbars, but the truck should handle it great!
  6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

I agree an 8ft blade would work good on that truck i would recomend going with the 8ft Superduty plow that boss puts out... if you have a dealer in your area that sells them. thats what im runing on my truck i can say that i have any complaints about it either.
  7. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Where in Connecticut are you?

I'm in lower fairfield county.

I know a few plow dealers in the fairfield county area, so if you tell me where you are maybe i could help you out.

8. GMC HD

GMC HD Junior Member
    from CT

thanx for the input guys. i guess 8' way to go. got a $3445 quote
    for a boss closest dealer for me. i'm in the naugatuck valley area.
  9. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

that seems like a good price on it.
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

8ft is the best size plow for your truck. Fisher, boss, and western all make great set-ups:)
  11. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Why aren't you guys suggesting a v-plow? Even if he's just doing properties he owns, wouldn't it make like easier to cut the plowing time down?
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Yes, a v-plow would cut down on his time spent plowing. but I don't think that for the few properties it sounds like he has, a v-plow would pay for itself, at least as quickly as it would if he were to plow commercially.

I just didnt think he needed a blade that cost $1000 or so more, just to plow a few of his own properties. In this case, productivity is not as important as it would be in a 'plow for hire' type case.

If he wants a v-plow, then by all means, he should get one.
  13. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Ok, GMC HD, here's the deal.
    Even if you're a new plower, you'll save time by using a V plow, and once you figure it out, you'll never go back to a straight blade. It is much more friendly to use, and an experienced plower can save 1/3 the time by using one. If you can afford the extra $1000 or so, I'd suggest getting one.