1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by maxchevy2003, Aug 31, 2003.

1. maxchevy2003

maxchevy2003 Junior Member

Hello guys l am new at the buisness of plowing snow. First of all l have a 2003 Chevy HD 4X4. Now l am looking at my plow any suggestions l will be plowing small comercial and private driveways. Second what kind of salter should l buy? Also could anyone gicve me some basic guidlines to follow for estimates. Also any times l should be hitting the parking lot to start . I work full time so l will have to plow around my shifts. Thanks Max:waving:

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving:

Is your truck 1500, 2500, 0r 3500?

Go for whatever plow is close to you. Fisher, western, boss are all good plows.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That will be hard to do plowing around your shifts.Unless yu tell your customers that in advance.No way could you be able to plow commercial when the snow flies you have to be there.How big of a salter do you want to get v box ,tailgate,.As far as plowing times just plow with the storm unless you tell your customer on a specific trigger.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, I was thinking the samething as Cat320. You cant go when you can, you gotta go when the snow is coming down. If you plan on doing snowplowing seriously, your other job is going to have to come second because you gotta be out there while its happening, not when you get out of work. Maybe some storms the timing would work out good, but its not going to always. Mike

5. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

You may want to stick residential or resturaunts maybe where you can work around your shifts. Like said by meyer Western,Boss and Fisher would be a good plow. And for salt spreader start with something smaller like a Snowex 575, which is a reciver mount and is a very popular unit and reliable so i am told by our friend John....Garagekeeper:drinkup:

6. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey Maxchevy,
    I too have to hold down a "full time" job. My hours are a little flexible (ie show up at 9:00 rather than 8:00am etc) and I schedule my work very carefully. I don't EVER take overnight winter vacations. But that is the only drawback. I work about 4 hrs every storm. 5-8 am and then I have a rent-a-shed place that just wants to be done the same day as the storm. Takes about an hour. Just be careful to have a backup and not ever let your customers down.
    As for plow, let your best dealer and your budget be your guide. I like a full trip plow, so we use Western (2) 1 Meyer and 1 Northman. All good plows for the rig and use. Post pics when you get your truck set up.:nod:

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Might want to look into some part time sub work until your sure you can fit it all into your schedule.At least that way your not on the hook for all your contracts if you can't plow.You will learn a lot about how long it takes,when to plow,etc.

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

8. maxchevy2003

It is possible

Thanks for the advice guys l will have to take on smaller jobs to get my foot in the door. I do have a back up my dad lol he is retierd and a very good driver. So its Sep 1 am l to late to land a few contracts? I was going to go out to all the local buisness here and aproch the owners . I am in Canada so is there anyone who tell me how l should be pricing the jobs and any insight on how to talk with the owners. My truck is a 2003 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 l. I know what you guys are thinking a crew cab lol well its the truck l bought l have 3 kids. Thanks for the advice guys please keep it coming Max

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's never too late to get contracts,but most of the good ones will most likely be gone.

I don't know if they recommend even putting a plow on a 1/2 ton crew cab.Your front axle may be overloaded with a decent sized plow.You would need a 9ft due to the large turning radius.That truck would be better suited to large open lots.You wouldn't want to be doing small stuff.

Sorry,I didn't even notice your location,your just down the road from me.If you want to talk about getting contracts,pricing,trucks,plows,etc,just give me a ring at the shop M-F 9-6.Number is on my website.

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

maxchevy2003, click on the link below if you haven't already read through Chuck's PlowSite FAQ. It'll address all of the questions you asked and then some. To start, scroll down to "Starting a Plowing Business". There are also sections on Pricing and Salters.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/plow_site_FAQ.html

Welcome to PlowSite. :drinkup: .

11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe that all Chevy 1500 crew cab are actually 1500HD with 6.5' short bed. It should be able to handle snowplow without a problem. I just looked up the Fisher selection guide and it showed that it should be able to handle 7.5' RD and 8' HD plow, even up to 9'. I would go with the 8' blade.

The brand all depends on what your local dealer carry. For me, I prefer Fisher because they are strong and well constructed. Also I like their trip edge design than other competitors' full trip blade. If you hit an unmovable object with the Fisher plow, the 6" trip edge on the bottom of plow will trip while the main moldboard stay up and continue to push the snow.

12. maxchevy2003

PLOW

Thanks Stephane and Chris for the advive l was worried when l was reading the posts a plow would not fit But yes my truck is a 1500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0L with the same towing, plowing capabilities and 200lbs less in pay load than a 2500HD really its a 3/4 ton . Chris l will give you a call about some of the questions l have . As far as the turning with my truck being a crew cab well l will have to live with that for now. I am a die setter at work l set dies into a large tangable presses using massive die moving machinery with sometimes zero sight when l setting them. I know what your all thinking not even close to plowing snow and your all right, but hopfully my experince using large machinery will help me. So l going to see local dealers for the plow. Stephane thanks. l am looking at these plows tonight. I have a feeling the factory l am at won't be around in a few years so need to start something up and this what l have chosen. Chis if it weren't for three kids l would have never Baught the truck l have. Max

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Re: PLOW

I know what you mean , I have 5 ! :D Thank god for minivans !

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Guys, I would never attempt to put a 9' plow on a 1500, HD or not. 9' plows go on 1 tons in my oppinion. I know his truck is long and all, but that doesnt mean you overload the frontend in order to cover the rear wheels in a turn, does it? How often do you really plow while doing a turn anyway? If your doing parking lots or driveways, you are usually doing straight runs. Maybe I am wrong, but a 1500 truck should always get a 7.5' plow, 8' being the absolute biggest. Im judging by the weight of say a Fisher or Western plow. SnoWays being lighter, Im sure you could go bigger than an 8', but Im talking about regular steel plows. Mike

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wasn't saying he had to go 9 ft,just that is what a truck of that length needs to be productive.The 9 ft would be too heavy for the 1/2 ton.

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Chris, what I wrote above wasnt aimed directly at you, well a little bit at you and some to Stephen. :D Mike :waving:

17. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I agree with mike 100%. A 9ft isn't made for a 1500. Even if it is the HD a 9ft blade would kill the truck. A 7.5 Is small for the truck. A 8ft may be a little small but wieght wise it wouldn't kill the truck. 8.5 would be a good chioce to but even that may be a little heavy. Go with a sno-way if you wanna go 9ft. the weight of a sno-way would be better for the truck. Not as heavy as fisher or western.pumpkin:

18. maxchevy2003

So guys l think l will go with a 8ft plow. So woud the fisher be a good one to go with. I am about 30 min east of Toronto Canada in Bowmanville is there a dealer that you guys could refer me to. I am going aroud to all the upper class neighbours to try and land something. I also have a 5 hp snowblower my 14 year old son could use for walkways. I was thinking $30-50 cnd per driveway. Should l ask for more to snowblow and clear steps ?Should l knock on doors or just leave flyers or both. What about newspaper advertising should l do that as well? Has anyone a copie of a contract l could refer to. I am a little nervous about shelling out the cash for the plow. Thanks Martin:confused:

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Fisher is a great snowplow. You can go on Fishers web site and find a dealer near you by looking under Distributor Directory. Their web site is Www.FisherPlows.Com. I wouldnt worry too much about spending the money on the plow, Im sure you will make your money back from it, even if its not in the first year. Even if it takes a couple years, the plow will last alot longer than that as long as you take care of it. Heck even if you abused it, it would last you longer than a few years. Its not really money spent, its money invested. Its a piece of equipment you need to make yourself money. You know the old saying, you have to spend money to make money. That applies here. :D Mike :waving:

By the way, welcome to PlowSite!

20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Martin, please take my advise on this - an 8' Fisher is too heavy for a 1500 Crew Cab Chevy. I can't imagine a dealer who would take the responsibility of putting one on that truck. I would think the only way you could do it would be to buy it "cash and carry", then install it yourself. Most reputable dealers will match the plow to the truck. You tell them what truck you have - they will tell you what plow to install based on the brand of plow.

A Fisher would be an excellent choice. They are very tough and well-built. However, you want to make sure you have a dealer within reasonable distance for that time you need a replacement part in the middle of a storm.

Best way to get accounts depends on the characteristics of your area. I've found the most effective to be the local "shopper" paper. You might also try door hangers. Another method I've tried this year is to keep track of new construction and visit them early in the season. Leave a card. On snowblowing and scooping - again figure how long it's going to take for a particular job and charge the same rate you would get for plowing (just my opinion - apparently others disagree).

About shelling out the cash for a plow - take a deep gulp, write the check and don't second-guess yourself.

Read through Chuck's FAQ if you haven't already. Everybody has the butterflies in the stomach before the first storm. By the second, you've settled down. By the fifth you're thinking "why did I ever want to do this anyway?" as you climb out of a warm bed at 3:00AM.:D