1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Big Ford, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Big Ford

Big Ford Member

Well i have plowed for some one for 10yrs and i am now going out on my own i bought a f-350 and plow but i am seeing so many lowballers out there. so my ? is do i join the group and just start low balling it just bugs me i go out and bid all these places just to find out they are going with joe smow for 150.00 for the year. Well i live in the Rochester NY area if any1 has any acc that they cant get to please keep me in mind.
    ps. I am looking for a plowing Contract that i can use as a ref to make one for my self if some one can e-mail me one that would be great Ty.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

keep bidding....something will come up
    put your number on your truck and post flyers
  3. Big Ford

Big Ford Member

I handed out 400 flyer's and i have my name and # on my truck that's not the problem its the guys out there doing it for half what it should be done for. I am not worried i just wanted to see if anyone else from Rochester NY had to deal with this that's all.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

we ALL deal with lowballers.
    people get what they pay for in snow removal
  5. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

There are all kind of documents samples such as contracts, bidding, log snow routes etc available by joining SIMA. I think you will find it's well worth your investment! Let me know if you have any questions.

6. Big Ford

Big Ford Member

I just ordered my new kicks for the truck they are sweet,now i just need some snow to play in.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Rochester prices have been going down for a long time. I'm surprised driveways are still going for that much there.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The worst part is the commercial work is priced worse than the residential. If hadn't been at it as long as I have, learned some tricks along the way, etc. I wouldnt want to be starting out now, but that said I'm starting restructuring this season, in the end we will be ultra competitive. No those tricks aren't padding quanities like everyone else does.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a typical winter in Rochester, your phone will ring during a snow storm. Low Ballers get over booked and can't handle it all. They do not take in enough money for truck maintenance. Be patient. Do not lower yourself.
  10. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

We have family in Webster, NY. He pays $240 for the season for a driveway that could hold 4 cars. The guy has to be working for nothing half way through the plowing season.

It's not unusual for that driveway to need 3 pushes a day.
  11. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

My only advice would be to advise your customers that they get what they pay for. Dont smear the competition but make a point on how you arent the cheapest but you charge more becasue it takes more time and materiasl to do a quality job. I am actually from hilton NY but live in UT now.

I am new to the business but see the same thing out here, snow plow operators who stack the snow in places that are unsafe and limit the establishments parking. One thing I miss about Rochester is seeing guys get tickets for leaving wind-row trails accross a major road or letting the stack spill out into the road. I am not saying everyone out here does that but I see a lot more of it then I saw back east.