1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy With Spreader Questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Wilbur, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Wilbur

Wilbur Junior Member

What a friendly and knowledge filled place!

I got sick of looking for a new job last fall and bougt myself a good truck to generate my own economic reform. Now that Winter is well along, I know that next year I will have to be involved in the snow removal and ice abatement business.

This year, I packed an eight foot trailer with a huge Gravely snow blower, sacks of de-icer shovels and scrapers. Me and a buddy picked up a few good residential accounts and several store fronts. This experience has been very good and I have learned a whole bunch about preventing and removing ice. In my area, ice control is a bigger potential business than snow removal, especially with bank branches and slightly larger businesses we are courting. This is where I am right now so on with the new guy questions!

1. What are the differences and advantages/disadvantages of single and two stage spreaders?

2. Because of storage space concerns and lack of ability to manipulate large/heavy pieces of equipment, I am looking at a receiver mount spreader for a starter unit. Reccomendations as to size and brand?

3. The businesses we have been talking to are very interested in pre-treatment for anti-icing. Is there a pre-wetter available for the receiver mount spreaders that anyone can reccomend?

4. What is the best compound for de-icing fairly new (2 years old or younger) concrete pavement? I have researched CMA and find it attractive, but I am having trouble locating it in my area, the price is pretty high and it may not work in the temperatures we would like to use it in. We are working on cornering a private lane with 25 concrete driveways and the lane association says "absolutely, positively no salt products at all!".

5. Advice for treating and repairig contaminated soil and chemical burn in planters where salt filled snow has been stacked on top of them?

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2003
  2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

First off welcome to plowsite.:waving:

1. A single stage spreader can only spread dry bagged materials. A two stage spreader can spread just about anything that is relatively free flowing.(much more versatile)

2. Personally I like the Western or Fisher two stage tailgate unit.

Not sure on the rest of the questions but hope this helps a little.

Welcome to Plowsite Wiblur,

I can only give you input on one of your questions. I just got into ice control this year so I am new to it as well. I used my Lesco broadcast spreader for the first few storms and it went pretty smooth. I thought maybe next year I would invest in a hitch mount spreader. Well, I ran into a killer deal on a Lesco Miniload (I believe it's identical to the Trynex 575-just with Lesco's name on it) it holds 350LBS. I can run bulk as it has a vibrator, but the bagged works perfect everytime. When I tried the bulk it was a minor PITA because it froze up a little. I absolutely love having this spreader-I can't even imagine walking that lot now! It is so fast and efficient. 350 LBS. isn't a whole lot, so I have to carry additional bags of salt. I guess it depends on how much salting you'll be doing as to which model to go with. I can take the hitch mount off by myself and it tucks away in the corner of my garage nicely. I got mine for $450-I believe you can pick up a new Trynex for under $1000.00. Definitely worth every penny in my opinion.

Lots of luck, Rick
  4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite:waving:

I will take a stab at #4 your ice melt vs. concrete question. I have all sorts of new concrete walks on a college campus. I was having problems with damage to new concrete and also tracking on carpets using other products. I now use this product exclusively on the concrete walks that are less than a year old. The custodial dept. is happy that the carpets are not turning black, my boss is happy that the walks don't pit like they use too. I am not saying you will totally eliminate damage to concrete but this product seems to work well for me. The company that built the last three dorms on campus was so impressed with how well they saw it work over the last three winters without damaging the concrete that they are now specing it for all their job sites for ice removal on new concrete walks. It is expensive, however I just inquired last week with my supplier out of Vermont to see if I can buy it in bulk for next year. He is going to let me know.

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

As mentioned single stage units can only handle dry material, and I haven't found one yet that moves sand. (At least effectively anyways ) I have on 1 of our trucks a western pro flow 2, which is 2 stage, will spread anything. It is a nice unit, and really not all that big. Cost was around $2100. Not to bad in my area. This unit will not fit in a trailer hitch. But, they do offer a mounting system that replaces your trailer hitch with theirs, and the unit slides into it ( Goes easier with 2 guys ) Hope that helps some

6. Wilbur

Wilbur Junior Member

Thanks guys! You are really helping.

Another question: I visited Meyer's and SnowEx's websites and speced out some kit but how do I tell if I am looking at one or two stage units :confused: They do not exactly say.

BTW, I did find a 45 gallon pre-wetting system at www.sprayland.com which is 12 volt and billed as spraying directly onto the spreader wheel. This sounds like just the ticket; anybody have any experience with this or a similar unit?

If the pre-wetter sprayed directly on the spreading wheel, I could probably get away with a single stage if there was a big savings because my restricted storage for the foreseeable year will limit me to bags stacked on a pallet anyway.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I might need one of these guys to correct me here but i don't think Meyer or Snowex make a 2 stage tailgate unit,i BELIEVE they are single,I have a 2 stage AirFlo tailgate unit and it was worth every penny.
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would agree on the 2 stage system.I have a speedcasterIIIf you load it and spread it right away it works great fill it and drive around for awhile it compacts to much.But it spreads as good as my freinds 1.75 yard airflow gas engine model.
  9. fordman

fordman Senior Member

A two stage unit will have a conveyor belt that feeds the material to the spinner unlike a single stage unit where the material goes straight from the hopper to the spinner. Most units would say if their two stage or not. The price is also a give away, two stage units are a little more expensive.
  10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

As far as salt in soil, gypsum will help with that problem. It is availbale at all Lesoc locations. Follow the application rates and instructions on the bags.